Carpet can't be restretched due to shrinking from water.help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

Carpet can't be restretched due to shrinking from water from hurrican Ike dammage. Any solutions. Guy said can't use power stretching in mobile home cause walls not strong enough and he would put holes in the wall from stretching. Anyone else have this problem and have a solution. Only solution guy could come up with was cutting strips and heat taping new carpet to the old carpet along the walls. Carpet was installed in June. Nope no insurance. :( Help please. Oh, and the lady at the office where i got the carpet said "oh well, just buy new carpet. Lots of people remodeled just before the hurricane hit and lost their carpet". No, not paying another $5000 for carpet ecspecially if that is their responce.
Dean3

Cutting a 1' border off and using another color might look fine,just use a color You like and that goes with Your decor.Just be careful sliding furniture over the taped seams. Maybe get the carpet cleaned beforehand,not sure how well carpet tape holds up against power cleaning.

With some research it might even be a DIY job!

Dean
Greg

I would talk to a different carpet guy first. Then, just an idea. If you dampen the carpet, you might be able to stretch it damp. Then get the fans out and dry it before the subfloor is damaged. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

I was a carpet helper for two years. I dont disagree with the heat tape. It is not what is sounds like.
If you buy new carpet and your house is WIDER THAN 12 foot... you likely have a piece of carped SEAMED IN on one side of the room.
Seaming in a piece is standard practice in the industry.
The trick is to use carpet from the same roll. Not a new piece from another roll... even if it is the same brand and color.
Every roll of carpet is slightly different. Color can variate from one end of the roll to the far end.
Did you get new pad? If not look into that. The pad is what makes the carpet live longer because carpet wears from the BOTTOM UP.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town