Double Hung Windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

VCFD

Hello Everybody! Just found this site and had to join in! Lots of good information. I recently purchased a 1988 double wide. The exterior aluminum windows and the interior storms need to be replaced. I'd like to replace them with vinyl double hung. It looks like I can remove the exterior trim to access the screws to remove the existing aluminum frame. My question is, will a double hung fit and should I use "replacement" or "new construction".
Whatever It Takes
JD
Site Admin

Hi VCFD,

Welcome to the forum! My company installs vinyl windows quite often. I highly recommend using replacement windows. When you measure for the new windows, you will be measuring the open area of the window, usually finished with strips of paneling or sheetrock. From that measurement you want to subtract 1/4", if the window is fairly square. You should take multiple measurements, high low and middle. You can do a 3-4-5 measure to check for square, but just use a square. It doesn't have to be perfect. If the window seems to be more than 1/2" out of square, you can subtract 3/8" from the actual measurement.

The replacement windows will have a real nice trim flange that you will see from the outside. All screws go into the sides of the inside part of the window. You do want to use a shim between the window and the window jamb to keep from distorting the vinyl frame when you screw it down. You do want someone on the outside pushing the window into place while installing the windows. You use a good window caulk behind the trim flange to seal the window to the siding. We use DAP Dyna-flex 230 which is available at Home Depot.

On the inside of the window, stuff foam caulking backer-rod into the small gaps between the window and the jambs. This is just a dark gray rope made of closed cell foam. It is cheap, get 3/8" and 1/2". You can finish trim the inside with a shoe base or quarter-round molding. We like to use the vinyl slat molding available from the window supplier. It is a perfect match and easy to install. A little expensive though at $18 per 12'. Once we install the trim, we caulk the trim to the jambs and sill.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your project.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

Another note. I have installed Milgard, Exact, Capitol and Jeld-wen windows. I feel the Milgards are the best of these brands. If you want very top end windows, I would recommend Anlin Windows. Too expensive for my blood though.

You also mentioned using double-hung windows. On most mobile homes, the dimensions of the window may determine if a double-hung or slider is best for the application. I do like keeping all large windows the same. I feel it looks better. Double hung will have a wider showing of vinyl than the sliders.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Well JD I guess this is one area that we disagree. I would only use new construction windows for a few reasons. First is size avalability, I doubt you will find the right size on the shelf and to order takes time and usually costs more. second, I will bet that with a home that olr you will find that the sills are starting to rot, if you have to replace them, reframe to fit the new window.
I know when I did our windows new Pellas were about 2/3 the cost of replacement made to fit and in stock instead of a months wait time. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I don't know Greg. I have done total window replacements many times and have yet to see a job where standard sized windows would fit even half of the windows of a mobile home. The newer manufactured homes do stand a much better chance. Sounds like you were very fortunate, to me. But if a person could use standard sized windows, then the 'in stock' replacement windows they sell at Lowe's (in my area) would also work and also cost less money. But these are the Jeld-wens. Home Depot here also sells Jeld-wens but I don't believe they stock replacement windows.

One thing I really like about replacement windows is the built-in trim. It is part of the white vinyl frame and looks great. They seal up to the home really well and will not warp or rot. With the new construction windows, you have to do something to trim over the nail fins. This is where I will see a lot of damage on wood sided homes, because water eventually makes it way behind the trim and causes water damage to the siding.

I also like the flush look on the exterior of the home. The new construction windows stick out quite aways. It was designed to have the siding installed over the nail fin where the thickness of the siding and trim will give them more of a flush look.

But as you mentioned, saving money is important too. A whole house full of windows can be pretty pricey. That is where going through the professional installers can be good. We get our replacement windows at a very competitive price because of volume. Replacement and new construction windows ordered through our supplier are almost the same price.

But in the end, especially for DIY installers, it's a matter of choice. Being creative in the shopping process and the installation can save money.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

VCFD

Thanks for the responses JD and Greg! I'm not too concerned about the trimming aspect of the windows because the inside of the home is tongue and groove knotty pine with 1x3 trim. The outside is a bit unusual. The previous owner had 6" half logs installed over the T-11 around the entire home, with 1x3 trim around the windows. It guess it doesn't really matter if the windows are nailed from the outside flange (new construction) or screwed inside the jams (replacement) since i'll be replacing the wood trim inside and out.

5 of the windows measure (including the strip of paneling) 30 1/4W x 53L. That should give me a rough opening of 30 1/2W x 53 1/4L.

So, I guess my decision comes down to price, availability, and ease of installation. This is all new to me, but out of necessity I'm learning fast!

I hope I explained everything clearly. As soon as I figure out how to navigate around the website a little better, I'll post some pictures.

I have more projects to do and I'm definitely going to have a lot of questions. Thanks for your help!

Joe
Whatever It Takes
Harry

Hi

Either way you go ... around here you would have to order windows.

I remove the windows to measure the opening then tack it back in place till the new windows arrive. Also the first time I just measured and ordered one window ...to check myself so I didn't order a bunch of windows that didn't fit.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

My only concern as I said is finding rotted sills. When I did ours ('91) I found over half had some degree of rot. as long as I had to replace the sills I figured I may as well go with the standard sizes and bought them off of the shelf. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."