Self stick tiles

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Ron

I am about to remove old sheet vinyl from a bathroom floor, then place Armstrong self stick tiles. Question: Does the felt paper underlay have to be removed ? The subfloor is 5/8" plywood.
Ron
Dean3

I don't think You can lay the stick on to felt. Try this link.

http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/ti ... 17866.html
Yanita

Hi,

With all products, read the instructions included with the item. BUT, I doubt you would lay it over felt.

Many brands allow you to lay directly over another vinyl if the existing vinyl meets certain standards.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Ron

what nice guys. I'm thought was to scrape out the felt tripping. Which I wil do. Armstrong says to remove the felting and apply a coat of base paint. Thanks again.
Ron
Steve S.

Ron,
That's what I did (i.e. applied a coat of paint to the plywood)when I installed self-stick tiles to my bathroom floor. Mine have held up quite well after several years, although in some places gaps have formed between the tiles esp. noticeable during the winter months when frost heaving shifts the house around a bit. I would recommend sheet vinyl instead of tiles, but overall I'm pleased with the outcome.
JimM

I put them sticky tiles in the kitchen and bath and just stuck them on
the old sheet vinyl stuff. been there for a year or 2 now and no
problems. i did learn a trick after sticking the first few .. they didnt
seem sticky enough to me so poped a stack of them in the oven for a few minutes. like 10 tiles at a time .. they stuck like crazy and you dont get a chance to move them any.
tritontr

Ron you may want to remove the tile and install luan board then glue down sheet vinyl. The board will give you a smooth finish to your tile without any imperfections from the original floor. I prefer sheet vinyl in bathrooms because of the inevitable water on the floor from daily use of shower,tub and sink. The sheet obviously will not allow any water to get to your sub floor like the seams in tiles.