Is this bathroom remodel possible?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Robin

I have several things in mind for my master bathroom.

1) Where hubby's vanity is, I want to put in a 4-ft. shower with shower pan and surround.

2) Where current little bitty shower is, I want to put commode.

3) Where my vanity is, I want to put in a long vanity with double sinks.

Really, the only thing that won't be changed is the tub, and it's yellowed with age, I guess, and I can't get it clean, so I'm contemplating getting a new one.

Problem: My husband. He likes to meet all my ideas with negativity, beginning with "It can't be done" and moving on to "It's going to be very expensive" and finally, my favorite, "I don't know who you think you're gonna find who can do all that."

Where do I begin? Is it possible to do all this? He tells me the problem is that the plumbing is in the underbelly, thus posing a great problem.
Greg

Robin, I have always saidthat with enough planning and $$$$ anything is possible.

Now to your question, Measure up the room (it is easier if you use graph paper) and lay out on paper to scale the way you want it . If you have a second bath it will take the pressure to get it done off of you.

Plan on gutting it down to the studs. the work is really not that hard to do, some basic plumbing, carpentry, possibly moving some electrical, It will take some time to get done. Plan on at least a weekend to get it back to functional. You may or may not need to open up the belly to move plumbing depending on how it is run and how big of a change you want. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

When you put this on graph paper remember to include the swing of any doors, cabinets and where all the electrical is. Also draw in your windows. All this is relevant to your new placement of things.

We just went through this with both our baths...as Greg said, anything is possible. Luckily the most expense part of the job was the plumbing, my Hubby is a plumber. Do not forget that your home will need to meet codes! As a homeowner you can do the work yourself, but it does require an inspection.

Plan on twice as long and twice the money...never had it work out any differently.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Mmmmm....Robin..yes it can be done. No it won't be easy. And with all the planning in the world you won't do this in a weekend. Even most contractors couldn't do this in a weekend. Item #1...Hubbys vanity probably drains thru a pipe in the inside wall...behind the vanity. (just my guess..) A shower needs to drain thru the bottom/floor. Item #2 replacing a shower with a toilet requires a 3 or 4in. pipe instead of the 1 1/2in or 2in. pipe that a shower uses...assuming that the drain line can be relocated from the middle of the current shower to 12 inches off the wall. (standard off-set for toilets...) Item #3..rip out the single-bowl vanity and install a 2 bowler. No problem. IF you've got the room for it there's plumbing to make it possible. Item #4 possibly replacing the tub. Is this a "mobile home sized tub" or a standard sized home tub? Yes..it matters. As has already been mentioned I'd start the job by gutting the bathroom, (including, but not limited to, removing the floor down to the floor-joists..) locating all the plumbing and electrical and go from there. The only way to know where the plumbing lays is to rip out the floor. Only then will you know your options. Last but not least..if the 2nd. bathroom (I hope you have one..) drains into the master bathroom to a Main Drain....have some buckets handy. But..yes..it can be done. Audie..the Oldfart...been there!
Robin

Okay Greg & oldfart, you're scaring me! Seriously, down to the studs?? Not even considering something so extensive.

So, new plan: new surround for shower, new vanities (2, just to replace the current ones), new storage cabinets, and last, new whirlpool bathtub (if I can't figure out some way to clean my tub to make it pretty and white again). Oh, and new sheet vinyl flooring to match our other bathroom remodel.

This sounds doable to me. Hubby just may go for this plan. LOL

Oh, just wondering - does anybody recommend a whirlpool tub/shower combo? Just in case I do decide to replace my lovely, allbeit yellowed, oval tub, I want to know what my options are. I don't really want to share my tub with my hubby, he only showers, doesn't like baths - but, if it's more practical I'm willing to look into it.

Thanks as always for the advice - you guys are great!!!
Greg

Robin, I don't mean to scare you at all, but in all honesty the only thing between the walls & the studs is sheetrock.

Now if you think about it the time you would spend fixing any holes or trying to move plumbing & switches will actually be be more than if you pull the old rock offwork with open walls, and then replace with NEW sheetrock it is faster plus you have no repairs to make.

Trust me here, When we rehabed our daughter's there was one wall (the only wall that I didnot replace the sheetrock on) that I spent 3 days trying to get right - but I saved $30 in sheetrock!!!

Now I will throw another curve at you, If you are going with a whirlpool tub, can you find one that will fit or will you need to open things up a couple of inches (back to the sheetrock again) ?? As I said it takes lots of planning, But very doable. Greg
Jim from Canada

Don't give up on your plan. I know, my wife doesn't. She just keeps on about it until things are ripped apart and there is no more money to finish the job. lol. Sometimes I come home and things are already torn out, like whole rooms.

Jim
Yanita

HI,

That whole Whirlpool tub shower thing...been there done that also. For me it turned into a huge waste of money. First make sure that you have room in your electric panel for a designated breaker for the whirlpool/jacuzzi. Also is your current hot water tank large enough to fill the tub?

On our most recent remodels we installed a 36x48 walk in shower in the master bath and then upgraded the tub in the guest bath. Soooo, when I want to use the tub I am "alone".

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Hmmmm...? Robin forgive me if I seem to be attempting to diswade you in any endeavor...I am not. My concern is that most folks don't understand what all might be involved in a seemingly simply upgrade. Any modification can be made with enough effort, time and money. But..it won't be easy. And..it won't be cheap. The only way to do the job correctly (IMHO) would be to gut the room, (yes..down to the floor-joists..) locate and re-locate all the existing plumbing to suit..and then deal with the electrical requirements. In a single-wide mobile home moving plumbing fore&aft (lengthwise) isn't such a problem. Moving it from port to starboard...from side to side) IS a problem. The floor-joists get in the way. I assume that a Whirlpool tub/shower would require a seperate heating element to sustain the warm water...a pump to circulate the water and a proper drain. All this requires seperate circuits in the electrical panel...new wireing and plumbing. And we must deal with the weight of a Whirlpool tub/shower filled with water (8lbs. per gallon) as well. How much water does the proposed tub hold? How big is the footprint of the new tub? Can the present hot water heater fill it or do we need to upgrade that as well? Robin..I'm not saying it can't be done or shouldn't be done. I'm just saying...know what you're getting in to before you start. YMHS...Audie..the Oldfart....
Robin

Okay, new plan! I talked it over with my dear hubby and he and I have agreed on a plan. My plan is to buy a replacement tub, since I can't get mine white again, repair the shower and maybe buy a new door, new vanities, new vinyl floor, etc.

My newest question is: I've found a similar tub at Lowes.com. Same shape, etc. I'll do all the measuring just to make sure I get the right size, but ours is a drop-in oval so I need something extremely similar. What is involved in changing them out? Can it be more than dealing with the water supply and drain line? Please tell me that's all there is to it!

And my husband will be very happy!

This will be my first step, because if I have to get a different type tub, then I'll have to re-do the skirting and I will need to know that before I get the flooring done.
Greg

Measure it up, note the drain location. Pick up a new faucet & tub surround. Should be done in less than a weekend! Greg