Hi again, & questions re: pellet stove vs. Sunjel firepl

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi again you all!

Long time no see! Sorry for the absence, but I've been really busy!

Now for the question - or questions - and btw, if these needs to be moved to the heating forum, I apologize for posting it here, but I wasn't sure.

I am debating whether to get a pellet stove or get another Sunjel fireplace. I have a Sunjel fireplace now, and it performed magnificently during our massive ice storm this past winter. Other than some friends with woodstoves, I was one of the only people I know who actually had heat, and I stayed very comfortable.

I am considering getting another one, in case we get hit by another winter like this last one. My plan is to install it in the kitchen area, so that the entire middle of the mobile stays well heated.

But all kinds of people are telling me to just get a pellet stove.

Which I've been considering - but I have some qualms about it.

First, it's my understanding they require electricity to run. But that would be of no use to me if the electricity goes out. So, is it true that they can't run without electricity?

Second, would I need to install fire bricks beneath and around them? I know they have to be vented outside. What about fire bricks or tiles or ... ?

Third, what about the pellets? I've heard of people having difficulty getting them before - is that difficulty continuing?

And fourth, I read something a little while ago which said pellet stoves are *not* approved for use in new mobile homes. So ... what's that about?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but this is it for now!
Greg

Hi Linda, Welcome back!! As far as I know pellet stoves do infact requier electricity to operate, however there are some with m/h approval. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Linda,

Glad you found us again!

Yes they do need electricity to run, I believe that most of the newer models have electronic ignition and then of course the hopper auger needs electricity.

There are a few styles that are MH approved. Good luck getting your insurance company to understand that these are interior heating appliances.

Yes these need to be vented, if I remember correctly most are vented out the side of the home opposed to out the roof. They can be set very close to the wall, but do require a heat shield of sorts underneath them.

As for pellets I really do not know the availability of them. I know in my area they sell the stoves, but he pellets are not really sold in volume south of the Mason Dixon line...subsequently the stove becomes useless.

There are many brand names of these stove. A good "google" search should yield lots of info.

Good to hear from you again.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Hmmmm. Electric ignition? Not good. Won't work.

And yes, I've already run into problems with insurance. I just applied for some, and not only got a huge estimate :shock: , but questions re: heating appliances.

Um - no! I think I need to worry more about not freezing to death, should we have another storm that blows out the electricity for a few weeks, than about the stupid insurance company!

Besides, I'm south of the Mason Dixon line. I know people here with pellet stoves, but they work right next to the pellet stove store. :lol: They have easy access.

So ... I'm back at the Sunjel fireplace. It's looking even better now.

Although I do have plans for a solar window box heater which I'm also planning on building.

Okay, thanks, guys! In a week or so, I'll start pestering you about ... plumbing! I have some replacing to start doing (I have the creepy grey piping and need to install shutoff valves, too).
Yanita

LOL, you know where to find us so don't be a stranger!

When you got a moment please post a profile, you know all the reasons LOL. If you do not see the My Profile Space link in the task bar menu (right under BOOK/PARTS) let us know and someone will invite you to be "friends". Except the friend invitation and you will get your link! :D

Have a good night.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!