Water from Ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

barrycuda72

I have read some of the other posts but this seems different.

When ever we have a really bad cold spell the next time it warms up I will get water dripping thru the bathroom vents and from the ceiling fan that is dead center on the highest part of my ceiling. The humidity in the house is low around 20%. No vented ridge and no snow or rain that occured to cause the issue. Its like I am getting frost in my ceiling space. How do I get rid of this and will it cause any long term issues that I should be aware of. And yes all of the vent caps are in place
troyster

What kind of ventilation do you have? whirly bird, ridge cap vent, soffits, gable vents, etc.
barrycuda72

Not for sure about the correct terminology.
2000 28X52 Champion home
There are are what appear to be vent openings every so many feet under the overhang on the sides of the house. On the roof there are 6 1 ft square metal vents neer the top of the roofline. The only remaining vents are the the pipe vents for the bathrooms, kitchen and furnace.
troyster

The vents between your overhang are soffits that allows ventilation into your roof. It sounds like you have adequate ventilation into your home so my next question would be how often does your family use the kitchen and bathroom fans when cooking and showering. This is a big problem here when we reach super cold temps. I would suggest adding more attic insulation if possible and leaving your fans going for 10-20 minutes after showering or cooking to ensure that all moisture is evacuated out of home. Also take a look up into your bathroom and kitchen fans with a flashlight and see if its carrying the moisture outside and not into your attic space (fan pipes missing)? Also check to make sure that fan pipes are intact and sealed properly.
barrycuda72

Thanks for the advice I will try your suggestions and see what happens.