Again with the Elastomeric Roof Coating

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sally

JD, this is particularly addressed to you, although I'm "all ears" for anyone's else's recommendations as well. I understand that Elastomeric Coating is not recommended for asphalt shingles, for reasons JD explains well in the previous thread. Is there an alternative way to treat asphalt shingled roofing? Would it do any good to apply another layer of WHITE shingles over what already exists? :D I just know that the roof on my MH is black and probably comprised of a material that would hold the head, anyway. I'd like to find a way around this problem, if it exists. Many thanks to all for the input!
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"
JD
Site Admin

Hi Sally,

I would never recommend a second layer of shingles on a mobile home. If you still have a lot of useful life in your current roof, you could just stick it out until it is time to re-roof. then maybe go with a white, 30 year (Elk is my preferred brand) with Grace Ice & Water Shield (or WeatherLock) underlayment.

I don't know of a worthwhile treatment for shingles. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

When you need a roof, you could also go with a good insulated metal roof product. It might cost more, but installed properly, it could be the last roof you will ever need on that home and the insulation will help with your energy bills and comfort.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sally

JD,

Again, thanks for the "advance warning" on the shingle situation. Again, that's what I assume I have - - so far, I haven't actually gotten up there to double check, but from the ground, that's what it looks like. The roof appears to be in very good shape, so I'm trying to find some way to reduce interior heat during the hot, humid summers we have here in Georgia. If the elastomeric won't work, I don't know what else to consider. If anyone can think of an alternative, please let me know. Thanks - -
Sally
"No good deed goes unpunished"
Greg S

Asphalt shingles can be painted with latex or acrylic latex paints that allow moisture to escape.
Two manufactures I am aware of that produce paints specifically for shingles are Behr and Sherwin Williams (unaflex). I have not painted shingles myself so have no first hand experience however I do no 'Burger King" restaurants paint there shingled overhangs approximately every 5 years with Royal Blue latex paint.
mobtek

Just looked at Behr and found their "roof paint". It's specifically for asphalt shingles.

I also found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2105261_paint-a ... ngles.html
1989 Fuqua SW