What type of PEX fittings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

HouseMedic

Hi,
I am getting ready to re-do all the plumbing in a modular home that sits on a block foundation and was wondering a couple of things.

1. Are there any differences in the type of crimp rings for PEX (black copper, stainless cinch down type, ect.) in how good they are? Is one type better to use?

If I run PEX from a manifold to each fixture with stub out's to connect a shutoff valve to is there any problems with this. Can you have a connection behind the wall?

3. Do I have to worry about pipes freezing since the house sits on a block foundation that is five courses of block high. There is four auto vents in the block. I live in Delaware

Thanks,

Ron
Greg

Most of us here I think prefer solid copper rings over the cinch type. If they are properly installed with a go/nogo gauge you should not have a problem. In the wall connections are personal preference, if you can use a single piece I personally would go that way.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Thanks for your reply Greg, I did not know what ones would work better and was wondering if I could get away with just buying one tool.(cinch type) I thought that the copper might be a little stronger but wasn't sure. As for the behind the wall part, I like the idea of having a stub out and then a valve. I was thinking about having a small access panel at each one so I could get at the connection if I had to. But I was also thinking of having my valves at the manifold for each fixture.
Thanks again,
Ron
Mark
Site Admin

The cinch-type is gaining popularity because you only need one tool, but I still don't feel safe using it. The big thing with the cinch-type is that sometimes the bands break when installing. I don't use the cinch-type anymore, but I ran into a guy the other day who switched to it, and he said he sometimes breaks a band.

If you can do it, the manifold system is the best way to run Pex.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
HouseMedic

Thanks Mark,
I am going with the copper clamps and also using the manifold system. With the manifold should I run a separate line to each fixture or to each room? Also what is the best way to bring the pipe into the room to each fixture. I always liked the idea of a stub out when I have used copper pipe. That way you seem to have a more solid and cleaner fit out. Any ideas on using stub outs, or would you just bring the 1/2" pipe up thru the floor under where it would connect to fixture? Also do you use PEX from the valve body on a shower up to the shower drop ear fitting? Do you have to keep PEX away from the heat ducts? If so, how do you get it over ductwork to other areas. I know it can't be to close to hot water heater and flu pipes. One more question... What is a good type of manifold? Should I just use two (one hot and one cold) of the copper ones with eight outlets? I only need eight including two hose bibs. Sorry for all the questions but I know you guys have had allot of experience and I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,

Ron
busybee1952

Ok, now I'm really scared! I was planning to redo all of my plumbing too but don't have the knowledge to even ask these types of questions. Manifolds? stub outs? Oh boy! More than one type of tool needed? Copper vs. cinch bands? What have I gotten myself into?
Harry

Hi

I followed the path of the old plumbing and entered each room through the old hole in the floor. Yes a separate line form the manifold. Pex has all the various fittings needed for the connections.

Sounds like you plan to do a first class job. Do you know that Pex comes in red (hot) and blue (cold)? This way you don't have to jerry rig marking the lines with tape or tags. Sure helps if you have to troubleshoot later on. You may have to special order the red and blue.

Also I like to stay with the same mfg of the fittings and bands although it may not make much difference....just peace of mind.

Good luck.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Harry

Hi busybee1952

Mark sells the crimp tools on this site. I have both the 1/2 and 3/4 inch tools and go/no-go gauge.

Lots of google info on the internet about Pex. Here's a site to get you started: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=h ... e/PEX.html

Good luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

BusyBee,

It sounds much harder than it really is! Read the site Harry left, it will clear things up!

Hey Harry, LOL, I am going to squish that bug!

Happy Easter all!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Busybee, there is an artical in the articals section about working with PEX. It really is very easy. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Thanks Harry, I do know that PEX has red and blue colors. All of the ZURN mfg. products are available at Lowe's. I have no existing wholes in my place. The wall and floors in the area were either taken out and rebuilt or the old lines (galv. pipe) came out thru the wall with stub outs.

Harry, Have you used the copper stub out before? and if so do you think the connection behind the wall should have an access panel?

busybee1952, Don't be afraid, It doesn't look that hard and like I said everything is available at you local Lowe's store. You can get more info hear.

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGuide ... nguide.pdf

http://www.zurnpex.com/Default.aspx?tabid=189

I am also going to stay with one brand (Zurn) for all pipe, crimp rings, connectors, etc...

Thanks for everyones help.
Ron
Harry

Hi Ron

I know about stub-outs in modulars but have not seen any in manufactured homes that I recall.

I am all for access panels. Now's a good time to put them in where ya need/want to.

Harry
busybee1952

Thanks everyone for the links to further information. I've just glanced at them so far but have them marked for more study later on. If this snow and cold ever goes away, maybe I will be able to re-do my plumbing before next winter comes around but being Michigan, I better hurry!

My nearest Lowes store is 39 miles away and with gas prices the way they are, I want to make sure I have the parts I need before I start the work. I don't want any surprises so all of this PEX information will be really helpful. Thanks again!