want to move mobile home furnace to basement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lbair1

Hi!
I am moving my 87 home onto a wood basement being built with plans to have infloor heat in the basement (this will be a walkout apartment) and want to get a new furnace a put it in the basement so I can take out the wall the current mobile home furnace sits in. The first heating person said that since mobile home ductwork is smaller than regular, he wouldn't be able to help with the high efficiency furnaces he sells.

What are my options? Can I get a new mobile home furnace and put it in in a different place along the current ductwork? What can I use to tap into the mobile home ductwork that can be below the ductwork?

I live where it gets to be 30 below, the home is an 87 16X80. Have purchased Mark's book but it isn't here yet. (i posted this topic in the heating and cooling section, too)

thanks

My guess is that a mh furnace wouldn't work. I think there are special considerations and they probably wouldn't be big enough. I think I remember you wanted to have a separate apartment in the basement though? If you have a renter you'd probably want to have a separate furnace and meter so you could have them pay separately from your own heating costs.
Greg

My first thought would be to change the ducts as well. with a basement under the home it should be a very easy job. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hvac1000

our home furnaces are for the most part down flow. In a basement situation you will an up flow furnace. I would just layout a standard duct package for the basement and see if you can just use the holes in the floor for the registers that are existing to attach to. You might have to cut the hole bigger for the duct supply's and that will mean you will need new registers and boots. You will also have to cut a large hole somewhere in the floor for a return duct.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.