Boosting water pressure - need info

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I tried searching, but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I would like to boost the water pressure to my home. Here is some info that might help to answer my question:

I have city supplied water. My water pressure is about 80% of what I'd like. I would also like to set up a second filter, but am afraid that without a booster I would lose even more pressure.

This would have to be as inexpensive as possible. I may have access to a good deal on pumps, etc as on of my in-laws sells spa parts.

Can someone give me a basic lesson in water pressure boosting?
1989 Fuqua SW
Harry

Hi

After you are sure you have no restrictions in the line...here's one way to boost water pressure:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/boo ... essure.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

The first thing you need to do is check the pressures you now have. There is a difference between pressure & flow. You can have 100 psi, but if the flow is low it will still take forever to fill anything. An example would be a bucket, you can pour a bucket and fill a cup fast, but take the same bucket and add a 1/4" hose and see how long it takes.

If you have good pressure both inside & out then start looking for a restriction in the lines, don't forget the valves. Greg
Last edited by Greg on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mobtek

Good info - thanks.
1989 Fuqua SW
Demolition

In addition to restrictions, it could be the city or rural water system. If you are far away from the water tower or at the end of the line... your pressure will be less. Also if you live on a hill or mountain.

I recommend contacting the water department and speaking with one of the maintenance persons or a plumbing inspector. Dont ask the lady in the office. I am sure she is nice but she dont have the info you need.

If your pressure is going to be higher than city water pressure you will need a check valve inline and a storage tank to accomidate the volume and pressure.

Talk to your local water man or plumbing inspector. Good Luck, Dave
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town