Metal roof over shingles -

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I am thinking ahead to the future and wondering if anyone has experience doing this?

I have a 16x76 SW with a peaked roof, asphalt shingles. I have read that you lay down new underlayment - then battens - then metal. I wanted to know if anyone has links to any similar projects that I could see pics of. Or maybe a good tutorial.

This is something for a year or so down the road, so I'd like to get educated now. Most likely I will be doing the majority of the labor, much of it solo - and on a budget.
1989 Fuqua SW
Macattac

The norm here in Maine is to simply lay strapping over the existing shingles so that it will line up with the fasteners (screws) of the metal. About 1/2 of the guys put felt paper under the strapping.
I'm not an expert on the application, but my company sells alot of metal for it.
Yanita

Hey Mobtec,

I commend you for wanting to educate yourself prior to the task!

Regardless of where you live we do not recommend laying a metal roof over shingles. It becomes a weight factor and also reduces your snow load capacity.

Also by removing the shingles it allows you to check out the existing decking and remove replace any that needs to be done. I think in our Articles link in the task menu there is an article about metal roofs...

Alsooooo, if you click on search and type in metal roofs, author, JD you will find some great post written by him.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tnt17

Here's a little info on roofovers through Permaroof. I've gotten a few estimates from them as well as a local company here in S.C. The local company is overall cheaper, but you can at least request materials or more info on it from Permaroof in the meantime. I have a few people that have recently done a roofover and they all say their utility bills are better so thus the insulation advantage must work.

http://www.roofover.com/roofover_advantages.html
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]