Attaching a deck

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

Now that I have a doorwall off the kitchen, I want to build a deck along the back of the home.

I would like to attach the deck to the home with a band board along the base of the home. Is this a feasible method? If so, what should I use to attach the band boards? How far will a lag screw go in? Will I hit metal?

Or will I need to free float the deck. If so, I won't be able to replace the siding on the home like I want to because I wouldn't have easy access to what is behind the framing of the deck.

Jeff
www.tastyvenison.com/Rancho_Pequeno.htm
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Yanita

Hi again,

We typically recommend that all decks be free standing from the home. In some areas it is code.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
CPA

I am planning my materials list as though it will be a free standing deck.

My intention is to replace the vinyl siding of the home with a stained hardiplank. If I free float the deck, there's no way to get back behind the deck to remove the vinyl siding once I have the deck up (it will be 44 feet long).

I am guessing that I will need to replace the first row of siding with the hardiplank then put up the deck. I don't know when I will get around to finishing the balance of the hardiplank project but hopefully it won't be too long.

On typical construction I would lag screw the band boards to the floor frame of the home and dispense with supports next to the home but from what you explain, this must not be an option so I will go the circuitous route.

Jeff
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

Yanita is probably right about the code issue. We have areas here that are basically on granite, but code still says no attached structures. It would be better for your home as well. Without an actual foundation under the wall, any additional weight would be hanging off the wall. This would also go for for any roof you eventually put over the deck. An aluminum awning is light weight and flexible enough to be attached, where a wood awning should be free standing.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
CPA

We don't have any plans for a roof, so that part is easy. I'll just have to do the first row of hardiplank siding before I start the project.

It will look a little awkward until I get around to the balance of the siding but that's just how it will have to be.

I think at the same time, I will put a small covered porch on the front of the home to get us out of the elements before we go into the home. I think I will follow the fllow of the peak on the front and extend out from there.

Jeff
JD
Site Admin

If it were me, I would drop down a couple of inches on the fascia board for the door awning. The flashing can slide up under the roof's edge metal. Makes for a nice installation and is easy to seal against leaks where the cover meets the roof.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
CPA

Excellent suggestion, thank you.
Brenda (OH)

this may seem strange, but if you save the vinyl siding after you remove, install the handiplank, and just do a temporary install of the vinyl on top of the handiplank in such a way that you can get it off easily (removable caulk? minimum number of roofing nails?) would that look better than the single row of handiplank awaiting the rest of the rehab? in other words, camouflage!!! and if the last word is mispelled,sorry, I did try the spell checker!

Brenda (OH)