ceiling stains accumulating

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

butch2

I grew up in mobile homes and now live in one as an adult so these ceiling stains are nothing new to me -but I'm still a little concerned

every morning theres a new batch of these stains .at first , there was one or two but there are now around 8 of them in the living room in just a matter of 5-6 days

its been -20 , -30 celcius here the past few weeks which is alot colder than usual this time of year (northern ontario canada).theres a decent amount of snow on the roof which I plan on shovelling off this week but certainly not an extreme amount

this is our 3rd winter in the home and while -20 , -30 temps are not unusual here it is the first time its been this cold for so long while we've lived here

the roof is in excellent condition -last done in 2004

the only thing I can think of is the few snow storms we've has were accompanied by strong winds and perhaps some snow has come into through the roof vents at either side of the home

I'm going to attach an image -hopefully it works

[/img]
tnt17

I'd agree, some form of water has dripped/leaked/run down and discolored it. Might want to check some shingles up on the roof, a few feet above where the spot would be of the damage, and see if any shingles or loose or roofing paper has torn. Could be seeping in there, or is there a roof vent nearby? I just patched up with the black caulking all my roof vents and exhaust outlets, many of the rubber gaskets were cracked and water has seeped in through them as well as my skylight.
Once fixed, you can by something called Jig a patch which comes in a 3 in 1 can. Spray, scrape the mixture after a minute or two then use the included 3m sander/buffer pad to smooth it. Finish it with some popcorn spray.

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/jigapatch/
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
Greg

The other thing that may help is to remove any snow from the area with a roof rake if you haven't already. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
butch2

well, I wont really be able to do anything about any loose shingles until the spring if thats the case -however , like I say -the shingles are in great shape

I have a gut feeling theres just some frost build up on the underside of the roof (between the ceiling /roof)which is melting after being extremely cold for a good spell of days

seeing as that part of the mobile between ceiling and roof is probably alot colder than inside the home I'd think it a good possibility- but would love to hear any other fellow northern state/canadian molbile owners chime in
shadow745

Could also be condensation......... if there isn't adequate insulation between the ceiling and roof, or a draft causing frost buildup like you speak of......... Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
butch2

shadow745 wrote:Could also be condensation......... if there isn't adequate insulation between the ceiling and roof, or a draft causing frost buildup like you speak of......... Later!
I'd like to think thats what is happening

condensation turining into frost on the inner roof melting now that its warmed up to 0 celcius past few days ........after being in the -20's for upwards of 8-9 days
butch2

Greg wrote:The other thing that may help is to remove any snow from the area with a roof rake if you haven't already. Greg
dang , I had one of those at my past residence and the buyer asked me if I could let him have it as part of the sale

I have 3-4 days off now so I'll probably get my butt up on the roof and start taking some of the accumulation off

thanks for the help and seasons greetings
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

When I lived in Northern Vermont we had a shingled roof there as well. To help combat ice daming we installed, hmmm, LOL, forget the name of it...BUT, it's a long cord that you plug in and it heats up, helps to keep the edges of the roof cleaned off.

Merry Christmas
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tnt17

Butch,
Take a look at this page as well. I had it bookmarked in my favorites from awhile back.

http://www.mobilehomedoctor.com/stains.htm
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]
troyster

Hi Butch had same problem last night. shoveled snow off roof and checked roof coating, no problem with roof. recoated all seams in October, so was not expecting roof problem, well I cut into ceiling and lo and behold it was melting ice off bottom of roof. let warm air get in there and sped up melting then put in foam board, covered it in joint compound and made pattern to match rest of ceiling (lol) once again had to lecture wife & son on importance of using bathroom and kitchen fans on regular basis. its well ventilated but moisture is enemy for ice damming. I am thinking of wiring fan so it runs while light is on in bathroom if it happens again ..ARGH
butch2

hey troy , sucks eh ?

the weather has been so weird this winter here in northern ontario

my dad and I (he's 74 and in better shape than me)went up on the roof on boxing day and shovelled off all the snow because the temps were to go up to +10 celcius on the 27th accompanied with heavy rain and wind

we didnt see any problems with the shingles so I'm still going with my hunch of some type of ice damming (even though there was no shingles that showed evidence of being damaged)or frost accumulating from condensation on the backside of the roof melting

I'm just glad we got the snow off the roof before the 27th because it did warm up to +10 and rained like hell for a day

there are no new stains and the current ones are not getting bigger .so I'm going to wait and see if these stains dry up (moist but not dripping)before cutting through the ceiling to see if theres more going on than my original hunches

ps Yanita -I'm going to look into that instrument you and I both cant think of the name of but know it melts ice :lol:
troyster

ya Butch it is a b#@*h! We have had temps of between -20 & -30 Celsius for three weeks in a row, then warmed up quickly and was expecting leak in bathroom were we got it last year but nope it was fine and we got leak in kitchen ceiling in 2 different spots. 2 years ago I have ventilated it better by removing 2 small vents in front and replacing it with full soffit and since then had leaks in bathroom (last year) and kitchen (this year). I could be over venting if there is such a thing. I am contemplating going back to smaller vents in front if can't train family to consistently use fans. sure sounds like it is common problem on this site. Could be good article for Mark's next newsletter maybe (lol) Troyster out!