Garden tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

Hello to all,

I have removed the garden tub in the home I am rebuilding, and it is 54 by 40 inches, the tub was enclosed by tile so that had to come down, and now I am looking for a new tub.
I believe the old tub was plastic, the date on the tub is 1987, or that is what was written in marker on the back side of the tub.
I called the local mobile home supply store and they said they carry fiberglass replacement tubs for 280.00, is that a good price?
And if not, what is the security in buying over the net? Does anyone know of a more inexpensive deal?
I would go with a regular tub, but my better half has decided to staick with the garden tub, so.... here I am.
Thanking you in advance.

Tim
Greg

Tim, Based on what I have seen, it is not the "deal of the day", but it is not outrageous either. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi Tim,

Like Greg said, it's not a great deal, but then any time you go through a mobile home part supplier for large items, it'll cost a bit more.

Have you checked with the home stores in your area to see if they have a garden tub that will fit that area? They may have to special order it, but they might have something available for less money.

It's worth checking it out!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Sylvia

Have you considered having a regular tub? We found one at menards that we replaced the garden tub in the master bath with. It was harder to find as it was slightly shorter than the tubs at Lowe's.

I feel like there's so much more room in the bathroom now. I don't miss the old tub at all and the new one is not plastic. I don't miss that either!
JD
Site Admin

We are able to 54x30 tubs through the Lowe's and other plumbing supply shops in our area. American Standard makes one, so you should be able to order them. We pay about $150 for them here. They are the steel porcelain type, so they are very sturdy.

If you want another garden rub, Ashville Mobile Home Supply is a good company to work with. I have also bought from Star Supply aka MHRV.com and Mobile Home Supply Store. I have never had a problem with any of them. You will find that there is a significant shipping charge for bathtubs. Having the tub shipped to a commercial address or will-call at the shippers local out let will save $70 or more.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flgmtech

Thanks to everyone for your input and replies.
I will try to go to lowes, I was curious as to the location of the drain in the lowes tub, as the original tub had it located in the center rear thus the hole in the floor for the drain is in the same location, and would like to stay with that with out having to replace the floor and then re route the drain.

Thank you all again for your help.
Maureen

Hi Tim,

Just about any tub that you replace an original with, will take at least some minor rerouting of the drain lines.

This is actually a lot easier than it may sound! It's sometimes cheaper also.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'