rim joists

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chaslo

What I refer to as the rimjoist is the most exterior floor joist that the exterior walls are standing on. All of my floor joists run the length of the home and are on 16" centers. This joist rests on a very thin piece of angle metal on the outside of the outriggers and is bolted. The thin metal is bent (I can bend it in places with my hand if I wanted). This joist has come off the outriggers in a couple of areas and has let the floor drop. I'm going to use the angle iron to reinforce and raise this joist so that it again meets the wall. I want to know if what I am calling the rimjoist is the rimjoist. I can't find the MPS either. There is MPS Search and MPS Groups. I can't fill out my profile or update it. The rim joist is the only answer I seek now. Will keep an eye out for the elusive MPS space.
Maureen

Hello,

I'm not real familiar with rim joist repairs, but others on the board are!

I will add you to my friend requests and that should get you in! Be aware that I won't be online again until late tomorrow night!

We're all doing our best.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

Hi chasio,

While I have seen floor joist installed lengthways on mobile homes, I have not seen one with the angle metal you describe. But your previous post did sound like a logical plan.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.