Water pressure question in one bathroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

challa

We are still looking for a mobile home to purchase and when we walked through one the other day we turned on the water in the main bathroom and we encountered a problem. Hot water pressure to the sink is great, but cold water just dribbles out. Both the hot and cold water barely dribble from the tub faucet. Toilet flushes fine. The other bathroom is fine, kitchen sink is as well. What could be causing this? And what can we do to fix it?
Thank you
Challa
gram2logan

We had a similar problem in the mobile home we used to live in. All the faucets were fine except the hot water in the kitchen. We think it was either a kinked line or the line was filled with calcium, etc from the water.

Wish I could give you a better answer.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Greg

Gram is right on the money, lime, & rust are the usual culprits, a kinked line is possible. We did have one here a few months ago that finally found a marble in a valve. It may take some work to find. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

You do not mention how old the home is that you are looking at...if it is older it is possible that it has galvanized pipes, hence the rust. This type of plumbing, if there would best be replaced with pex.

Just something to be aware of before purchase.

Have a good day,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
happysmyly

We are having that same problem with our kitchen's hot water. It worked great before we moved our house. Our pipes are CPVC. My husband was thinking that there may be air in the line somewhere... would that cause this?
How can I find what or where the problem is? What steps do I need to follow to get this fixed?
Thank you for any help!!
challa

It is a 1983 Fairmont 14X70. We are going tomorrow to try to figure out the problem, but we need some ideas for what to look for. It doesn't make sense that the hot water works GREAT in the sink, but no cold, and nothing from the tub at all but a trickle. And the rest of the house is fine.
Greg

First to Happy, Air would be pushed out of the system as soon as the tap is open.
Challa, What you will have to do is to start at the last place you have full pressure and start working from there. Check every joint & valve untill you find the restriction. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Folks,

Please post one question to a thread at a time, although similar and maybe even the same it gets difficult to follow the threads.

Thanks for understanding.

~Yanita~
challa

So basically, my husband needs to get under the home and start checking the pipes. Could they have sediment in them or something? We have very hard water here.
Yanita

Hi Challa,

Yes to both your questions...unfortunately none of us ever want to go down under, LOL.

Have a good night.

~Yanita~
Maureen

Number one place to check first is the aerator to the faucets. Unscrew these and clear out any gunk from the screen. If the problem persists, then it's time to go down under and check it out.

Like Yanita mentioned, please post one question at a time. Every home has different circumstances. Please, if you're posting plumbing questions, let us know what type of plumbing you have!

Similar questions, don't have the same answer where our homes are concerned.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Robert

Hi Folks,

IF you have shut-offs, disconnect waterline from faucet and place in a bucket.

Turn off MAIN water valve first before doing this and turn back on once you have end of waterline in a bucket.

IF no pressure, turn water back off, remove waterline from shut-off valve, place jug over shut-off water outlet connection and try again with water on.

These are steps you can take to locate blockage before having to go under and tear open belly.

If still no water, turn water off and disconnect shut-off, tape a makeshift clear hose or tube over waterline protruding from floor and place end in bucket and try again.

Do all these on the waterline with no pressure.

If all these do not produce pressure, then it is time to go under and cut small X in belly to start checking waterline underneath where it protrudes from floor.

ALWAYS turn the MAIN water valve off, along with shut-off. DO NOT just turn the shut-off to off and open a line.

Shut-offs fail often and this isn't how you want to find out.

Be sure for each test, that Main and shut-off are both back on.

Once you've read this and have it memorized/pictured, it is really very fast and easy.

Most blockages will be in the shut-off valve, faucet body or at the aerator, so it saves alot of unnecessary down-unders.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?