Power Washer Advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maineman

Am looking for a power washer. Have been using my neighbors but otherwise know nothing about them. He has a 2500 PSI unit with Honda engine and 4 nozels. Need one to clean the cars (we live on a gravel road in Maine and MUD season is here) Also need to clean the green algi that grows on the porch and cedar shingles on the north side of the house. See similar units at Northern Tool and Home Depot ranging from $250 to $400.

Many thanks,

Tom
Greg

Tom, that is the price range for a decent machine for a homeowner. a 2500 psi machine is about the right size for general use, but there is also a GPM rating also. the higher the rating the more water used, again a balancing act, too little water and you will not get it clean, too much and you have a big mess. I personally would stay with a gas powered machine, but electric is quicker to set up & easier to store. You may want to do a google and see if you can find any buying guides. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hi Tom,

I have a Husky 1800 electric. It does an excellent job on concrete. Ate the algae up with no problem. Then I used it in an area that actually looked clean and fine to me. When the wand goes over it, it looks like a spray painter. Cleans stuff I didn't even notice. I think with a more powerful unit, I could clean faster. The wife wanted this unit so she could handle it herself, no gas and all. Well, that has not happened yet, but I use it regularly. I used it on old black redwood. It stripped out all the old black wood, leaving a beautiful fence. When we first got it, I stripped a patch of factory paint off of aluminum. So even with the 1800 you have to be careful sometimes. I tried it with soap in the reservoirs. It took forever to clean the soap out of the machine afterward. I really have not found anything I can't clean with water alone.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sylvia

Best power washer advise. ONLY plug it into a grounded outlet. My ex husband and I owned a Victorian home that was later "updated" by a crazed electrician. The outlet was supposedly grounded and it wasn't. He was electrocuted but lived to tell about it.
Yanita

Hi,

When pressure washing your home, make sure not to use to much pressure, this can damage the home. Keep the water flow in a wide fan spray.

We have an electric one, not sure of the details, but it was so "this wife could use it", it does clean the decks and the home, even the car without damage. LOL, JD, I did this all by myself! :lol:

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi Yanita,

Can you find out the details on yours and email to me ?

I've been looking at them and wanting to find some people that have the electric ones.

I've looked at Husky and I believe a Karston or something like that.

I want one to carry on service van for cleaning blower wheels and housings quickly.

Anything else I may need to clean also, but mainly those two items.

I was apprehensive, but sounds like they may be just what I need.

I did post in other thread about these that if getting gas one, go with Honda engine if at all possible.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg

Karsher possibly? They make a commercial line and also a homeowner line. I have not used the homeowner units, the the commercial machines were always great. I have seen the Homeowner line at Walmart, Big lots and others. One thing I have forgot to mention, with ANY washer, make sure the water is turned on before you turn the pump on, the quickest way to take a pump out is to run it dry. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Thanks Greg, that's it. I seen them at Wal-Mart also, but the one's I looked at were at Lowe's.

I don't buy things like that at Wally World cause I know better,LOL.

Don't know if the one I was looking at was HO or Comm., could use either.

I like to use jet/pressure sprayers to clean blower wheels because it's fast, easy, cleans them well and saves on my hands/fingers/knuckles from getting sliced and diced by the fins.

Now that I live and mostly work out in the rural country areas more so than the big city, I don't have a jet spray wash on every corner.

A small electric one would work well for this I believe.

Will investigate further.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
riven1950

Actually I think it is Karcher. I have one, 3500 psi I believe. Puchased it on E-bay at quite deal about two years ago. It has a 5hp Honda on it that is very quiet.

Check out e-bay for electric or gas.

Ted

NC Coast
Yanita

Robert,

My apologies, somehow I overlooked the new post added to this thread. Sure wish email notifications worked for me! Anyways, yes, certainly I will get the info for you and respond. I do know that ours was purchased at Lowes for around a $100 bucks.

A cheapy compared to others but it does clean many things, quickly and easily. Hmmmm, never thought about using it on the furnace parts!

~Yanita~
Handweaving

Hi,
I don't have a power washer and don't think I'll be getting one. But, I do like a clean home and so wash mine with a long soft bristled car wash brush and use ArmorAll. Rinced well. Am I doing right or wrong?
Thanks
Yanita

Hi,

A soft brush is the preferred method. If you are not real careful using a pressure washer on a mobile home can cause damage. But, using a pressure washer on anything including yourself can cause damage if you are not familiar with using them. Your method is fine.

As for the Armour all I have no idea, although I have used Future clear floor wax as a finishing rinse, and after washing the exterior of the windows I generously use Rainx!

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
Robert

Thanks Yanita. Go to HVAC Articles and look at Cleaning the Blower.

You'll see pics of wheel and blower housing being cleaned with a jet spray.

With you having one, would be a quick job at home, allow to completely dry before reinstalling.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Maureen

Hi Juli,

As Yanita stated, a powerwasher can be used if you're very careful! I have older, painted, aluminum lap siding. I prefer the car brush and Simple Green on my home. I don't have a need for the ArmorAll. When I painted the siding, I used a satin paint, not a high gloss finish. It hides the dings a little better.

If the ArmorAll has been working for you, that's great!

Here's another thing that I do. I only scrub the home once a year in the Spring. Once during Summer, and then again right before I disconnect all the hoses for the Winter, I take an old outdoor Windex bottle that hooks up to a hose. I place a few ounces of Simple Green in this and just spray off the home. Takes about a half hour for the double wide and works well. But, then out here all we have during Summer and Fall is dust LOL!

Yanita, what type of Rainex do you use? I sent Warren down to buy it last year and he came home with the little cloths already pretreated. Like diaper wipes. Sorry, I'm old.... and can't think of the correct terminology for these things. Well, they dry out in seconds and it takes forever to get that the film buffed off the windows. What do you recommend? I'd like something that doesn't take a week to complete LOL! You're the cleaning pro here and boy do I need short cut help this Spring!

Maybe I'll post a topic about that. Sounds like a good idea! Join in down in the Off Topic forum folks! We can all use the extra tips!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi Maureen,

I get mine at the local Auto Zone or Advanced Auto. If you do not have those stores any little franchised parts store should have it. It comes in a yellow squeeze type bottle. Has RAINX in large black letters across the front. Wal Mart might sell it also.

Since you mentioned a film, then the glass was to warm, try to do it before the sun starts fully shining on the windows. I use the stuff all the time...even on the glass in the storm front door. Helps eliminate those nasty looking rain drop marks, and a quick spray with those hose cleans the windows real nicely a month or so latter.

~Yanita~

PS...Greg and Sandy also do cleaning on the side...they might have some tips!
Last edited by Yanita on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.