new to site

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chaslo

I've been reading the info on this site and am impressed with the knowledge i've found. I will tell what I've got then ask one question at a time. I think that is the way it is done. I bought a 1975 mobile home 11 yrs. ago. It was located in a pretty nice park. Recently the park was sold so every one had to move. All 141. I moved to the country. Now about my home. Upon jacking the mobile home up the frame bent. I had a welder reinforce the truss frame. The home moved just fine the 20 miles it had to go. I was told by several movers that I did not have to remove the contents. When the frame began to bend that changed. The home is set up and leveled. I decided that with the home empty it was the time to remodel. My home is 2 bedroom 2 full bath, 14x60. The rim joist has dropped off the outrigging and the floor has settled in these areas. I have proceeded to gut the master bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Man! I knew that the home was not very energy efficient now I know why. I tore off 2 sheets of paneling and apprx. one inch of fiberglass insulation and that was all there was to it. The framing is 2" x less than 3". With aluminum wiring. I am living in the other half. I am going to repair the rim joist problem then replace the flooring where needed with full sheets (no patch jobs, there is plenty of water damage in the expected areas). I'm going to fir out the walls apprx. 3/4"- 1" then replace the wiring with copper, Insulate with cellulose or fiberglass I have not decided yet. Next will be new double or triple pane windows. 1/2" sheetrock will replace the awful paneling. The master bathroom I'm thinking of making a walkin closet. I will remove the furnace which is in that area and rearrange the washer and dryer area which is in the same locale. I will remove the wall between th living room 2nd bedroom and put in a Lopi or Jotul woodburning stove. (mobile home approved.) There is some sagging of the ceiling in the kitchen. The only time there is water dripping from the ceiling is from a frost melting. It can come the hardest rain and will not leak . Since it is recommended to ask one question at a time I will begin with this one "How do I do this?" Just kidding! I will begin with what I feel is first. I have an Idea on how to fix the rim joist. My thought is to jack the joist with angle iron maybe 1"x1"x3/16 or 1"x1"x1/4 however long I need it or however many peices I need and have the welder attach that to the frame. One thing is for sure I want to do it right. Any Ideas that will help me with this?. I will buy the book soon.
Thanks
Chaslo
JD
Site Admin

LOL, yep that is one question alright. Not really sure what you are doing with the angle iron but it seems like you got your plan figured out. When I replace rim joists, I just use MH steel piers or when I am feeling invincible, bottle jacks and a 4x4 to prop up the floor joists. Same thing when repairing water damaged joists where they meet the rim joists.

Not all mobile homes are built the same though. I have seen 2x6 joists running the length of the home instead of diagonal and I am currently working on one with 2x4 joists, 24" oc , 1x4 rim joists and 2x3 wall studs. It doesn't feel as spongy as I would think. It is a 20'wide double, so the shorter span must help.

Have fun with your project. Keep us posted as you go along.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi chaslo,

Welcome to the site! We own a '73, and I couldn't imagine moving it!

One thing you will find here is a lot of great folks! We've all been through projects of one sort or the other. You'll get some great advice here!

I might also suggest that you consider buying Mark's mobilehome repair book. It's invaluable! You can find it under the books and parts link at the top of the page.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
kashton

Welcome to the world of older Non-mobile homes. I wouldn't even try to moves ours, but in a pinch likes yours, I guess you would have to. I wish you all the best with the fix ups. Hopefully everything works out.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!