Whirlpool tub- Possible problems, suggestions?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Muir

We are seriously considering installing a lower-end whirlpool tub. I know the biggest possible problem would be leaks, so if we buy it, we will be sure to put in good skirting and tile flanges. Any other possible problems anyone can think of? Any suggestions?
Yanita

Hi,

First off know that you need to make sure that you have room in your circuit breaker. It needs to be on its own designated breaker. For us this required a permit and an electrician to run the wiring. Also a tub of that nature has an overflow that mobile home tubs do not, so you will need to plumb for that as well, or cap it off.

More importantly do you have the room in your bathroom for a tub of that size?

And lastly we added extra blocking under the joist that ran under the tub, these things hold alot of water.

Also is your hot water tank large enough to fill the tub to an enjoyable level, mine was not, yet another expense that we did not plan out until the first time i went to "fill" the tub!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bell30655

Yanita pointed out some excellent points. When I bought this mobile home, one of the features that really excited me was the 60 X 42 deep bathtub in the master bedroom. Then I figured out that I didn't have enough hot water to fill it. :cry:

An upgrade on the water heater took care of that. Lucky for me, I knew someone that had one lying around. Now onto the panel. Every trip to Home Depot I find myself looking longingly at the whirlpool bathtubs they have there. Each time I force myself to go on, knowing that at this time, I am not ready to pay an electrician big $$$ to wire it up.
Greg

Steve, just a thought on the electrician. You can do the rough in work (running the cables & mounting the box) this is the time consuming easy work that runs the bill up, and have the electrician do the actual tie in. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."