can stereo be replaced?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

riven1950

I have a 1989 Horton MH with a cassette stereo wired in the wall. A couple of speakers don't work. Stereo does work, but who has a cassette anymore?

Assuming I can get the speakers to work...is there a place to purchase a cd player / radio to replace the unit or should I just seal up the holes and call it done?

Thanks,

Ted
NC Coast
Greg

Ted, I guess I would have answer a question with a question, How much work do you want to do? If ALL of the speakers are dead, I would suspect a problem at the stereo end,(if you figure the odds of all of the speakers going bad). You should be able to find a new unit that fits in the hole. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

For the system itself even if you find one slightly smaller than the existing opening you can fill around the opening with a pretty trim moulding.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

I wish I had even an non-working one of these in my place! I don't know about cassette tapes being totally obsolete either ,some stuff simply doesn't come on CD and transferring or downloading is always something a person is too lazy...um, has time to do.

I'd check out the speakers first, then if you need to, you can always replace with a new system. Even if the newer system is smaller, as Yanita said, you can always trim it out and it could look really sharp. I've seen lots of home units on the web and on eBay. You could even find your unit and simply replace it. The speakers are IMO the easiest to replace.

Good luck!
riven1950

Thanks for the info. To clarify, actually two of the speakers work fine ( in one room ), the speakers in the other room do have static, but no quality so I think it is a speaker problem.

Will check on e-bay for a unit after I am sure the speakers are the problem. As you say the speakers are the easy fix.

Ted
NC Coast