recently bought a handyman special

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

me and my boyfriend recently bought a handyman special. The ceiling is bowed and from the looks of it the roof either has to be sealed or redone. do you have any Ideas for an inexspensive good job? we bought it for $850. we are planning on remodleing it and selling in the future.One of the water pipes broke and we have to tear out either the bathroom wall or the bedroom wall because the water heater is only accesable from the outside and the floor is rotted out. There are some soft spots in the floors. the windows were redone. we have two closets in our room and one has the breaker box we want to move the closet with th ebreaker box is that going to be difficult? he wants to, but i have a feeling it might be hard. any suggestions? thanks karen :? :)
Harry

Hi

It's all doable. I would get Mark's Repair Manual. Here's a link:
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/order.htm#catalog

You'll be glad you got this manual.

Also some profile info will help answer your questions.

Lots of good folks on this forum.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Karen,welcome to the family. One thing you will find about a mobile is that with enough planning (and money) ANYTHING is possible!
Like Harry said I would buy Mark's (the owner of this site) book, it is a bible for home owners. By the sounds of it you may be better off planning a total rehab. and in all honesty it may be faster doing it that way.
The BEST support team in the world for mobile home repair is right here! We can get you out of most any jam you get into. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Karen,

Another welcome to the site.

I agree with the above post, but before you do anything keep in mind the home should be checked for level.

As for the roof, in Mark's (our fearless leader) Manuel there is a nice roof over for decent money. It has pics and very clear instructions. No special products, everything can be bought at your local home improvement store! :P

Your profile is empty therefore I and everyone else is limited to the amount of suggestions we can give. I can tell you though that all interior work will be for not unless you have a sound roof. Our homes are repaired more often than not from water damage.

You have found the best site to help you with your repairs and questions, please post only one topic to a post, always be pleasant, LOL, we all live in MH"s and somewhere here has always done what someone else has not! 8)

Please note that you mentioned electrical. If at any time a admins/moderators and some forum users determine that the person asking the questions (about electric/gas) is not knowledgeable enough to handle the task, for your own safety specific info will not be given.

Please do not take this as an insult, this is for the safety of yourself, family and home.

Glad you found us and we are all looking forward to helping you get your home repaired/upgraded. Look forward to your future contributions to the site! :D

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!