Burglar proofing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

HELP!!

I went on vacation last Friday, left Florida and drove to Connecticut, the trailer we live in is in a Park and is mainly migrant farm workers whose kids are bored during holidays and have in the past broken in and even broken out windows.
I returned tonight to find the back door pried open with a pry bar and the lock literally ripped through the metal door jam around this cheaply made thin mobile home door. I have temporarily attached 2 hasp style locks inside the back door with 2 padlocks, but not exactly safe in case of a fire,. and they can still just rip the door off, and I am still not finished with my fixer upper yet we recently bought to able to move into and walk away from this nightmare., any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you all

Tim
Maureen

Hi flgmtech, so sorry to hear that your home was broken into! Hope they didn't do much damage!

No home can ever be totally burglar proof. If they want in, they're gonna get in, whether your home or not. That's a fact!

What works for us is a neighborhood watch type of thing. It's not official, but we all sort of take care of each other. Just a few weeks ago, I was getting ready for bed. Warren said he heard a car in our neighbors yard for a very long time. I looked and the dang car was going back and forth, back and forth. I saw a young person, without my glasses, in the dark, hopping from the drivers seat to the passenger seat! Well, I went out and made a fool of myself! It was my neighbor's son, teaching his daughter how to parallel park! They take off off on camping trips all the time. I had no idea that the kids had stayed home! They thanked me in the end! And I wasn't a real pretty sight LOL!

We also have always had watch dogs, but when we leave home, they go with us. We've also had alarm systems. Those also don't work well when you're on vacation, and forget to notify the alarm company. Here, you get fined big bucks if the alarm goes off, and it's a false alarm... like the wind blowing too hard.

I always leave at least one TV on at all times, one car in the driveway and lights on. It's not perfect, but give the idea that the home has someone in it. That will at least chase away the kids, or inexperienced burglars!

That's the best advice I have for you! If you have normal old mobile doors, make it a little harder and install home doors with hinges inside. It's really easy to pop those outswing doors open. It just takes a crow bar.

Maureen 8)
flgmtech

Thanks for the tips Maureen,

We left two TV's on and a car in the drive, in fact they broke in to the car in the drive and stole the stereo, they unscrewed the bulbs in the automatic security lights that come on with movement and went to work quick as you please in the car.
And yes the old style out swing mobile home doors are the ones that are on the trailer, and yes it had to have been a pry bar that was used as the door frame and the door itself are bent outward into a odd shape.
But, material items are just that, and can either be replaced or sadly forgotten, it is the feeling of security I wish to restore, as for right now it is gone and I hate to leave the house. Yes, I realize how irrational that sounds and is, but it is an awful feeling to be violated like that. Okay enough crying! Thank you for your reply.

Tim
Greg

Tim, just by the nature of our homes, they are not burgler proof, Heck, with a big enough truck they can take the whole home!! Like maureen said, Neighbors are a big part. upgrade the doors & windows. but in the long run if someone wants to get in, they will. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi Tim

A Florida park with mostly migrants is probably a high crime neighborhood. Actually no home is burglar proof.

If someone breaks in while we are away we have insurance.

If someone breaks in while we are here we plan to follow Florida's "Castle Doctrine" law.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

Really feel bad for you. I can understand what you are saying about that feeling of lost security. Unfortunately, while there are ways to install a better door, there is not much you can do about windows or cars. Everyone has a risk of being burglarized. But as you know, in some neighborhoods, the risk is greater. I hope this is the last of that type of problem for you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
troyster

Tim, as a victim myself I know the feeling of home being violated. We lost $ 5000 dollars worth of electronics and at the time had no insurance. We lived in an apartment at the time and they managed to pick our dead bolt. So like the forum members said: if they wanna get in bad enough they will whether its a house,car,mobile home, or apartment.
Yanita

Hi Tim,

Sooo sorry to hear of this! I too can relate to the insecure feeling once this has happened. Took along time for me to get beyond it. As you say, it's not the material items, it's the act itself.

It's true, mobile, modular or stick built if they want in they are coming in. Awhile back Robert posted some good tips about home security. If you do not know he is a retired police officer.

One of the things that he posted that stuck in my mind is to make sure that all outside lights are not accessible from standing on your deck, steps or other items, make sure a ladder is needed. This helps prevent the removal of bulbs.

When we had our new doors and windows installed, I got double paned glass, with double locks, steel doors and the door are in swing. I like this type as you can put those door knob stick things under the knobs and wedge them tightly to the floor, prevents the door from opening. Only good when you are home though.

Hopefully Robert will see his thread and reply with his tips...

Again, so sorry...

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flgmtech

Thanks to all whom posted, your advice is greatly appreciated.
The park we live in is high crime, and this is our fifth break in, sad to say, that Florida home owners insurance problems as a whole, makes it impossible to obtain insurance on this old Mobile home, thus we have no recourse.

Coupled with the past robberies we have been searching for another place and thank God we found one, as many of you have seen in my Pics or have read about in my posts. Yes it needs tons of work, but it is out in the sticks, no one around,. and when we got back, it was left untouched.

The good news is even though the previous vindictive owner cut all of the electrical wiring to every outlet and every overhead light, as of last night I had rewired the entire trailer, we now have lights and power to every room. The trailer was lit up like a Christmas tree last night, it brought tears to our eyes to see such a vast improvement.

Yes I agree, if they want in bad enough, no amount of security will prevent them from getting in, look at the big bad wolf,... three pigs, three houses,....this guy was determined!

Thanks to all,. and best of wishes.

Tim
Greg

Tim, If the PARK has a high crime rate perhaps the park as a whole should attack the problem. It will take work but if you can band the residents AND the management together with the police there WILL be a difference. A few years ago our park had the police here at least 3 time a week. My wife as a manager had a gun pulled on her for serving an unregistered vehicle notice. At that point the new owner had enough and started the clean up. We have neighbors that watch out for each other, the drug dealers are almost gone, and if the police are in the park it usually for a domestic dispute.
The mind set of the owners has to be Quality residents. Our owner would rather have a 50% occupancy of good people than 100% with 50% that are deadbeats and trouble makers.
As I said it takes time & a lot of work, but it is possible. Greg
Maureen

Hi Tim,

Since you're in the process of making another home your own, I doubt that you have time to rally the whole park together to do a neighborhood watch type of thing.

But Greg brings up a good point for others in neighborhoods or parks! I'm a firm believer of neighborhood watch programs and folks getting involved! It really doesn't take much out of a busy life.

20 years ago, no one wanted to associated with our little valley. Heck it's still called Slum Valley and Scum Valley! We moved out here about 12 years ago. The first month we were out here, the gangs had a battle out in front of my home! Ryan was on his way home from school, and the street was blocked off. I couldn't get to him, and he couldn't get to me! Very scary! I was on the floor in the home, as instructed by the Sheriff's Dept. freaking out! The girls that lived next door brought him home through the back fence. I can't tell you what a relief that was!!!

After that, I got to know my neighbors and started attending our landowner meetings. After that I went and volunteered to help make a lot of really awesome things happen out here! We are just about rid of the blight, we still have to live with the nicknames though. More and more rundown rentals have been sold and stickbuilts, or new mobiles have been placed on those sites. They just got finished with 6 stickbuilts right around the corner from us! Of course, we still have more property than they do!

Here's a short list of some of the stuff we did and still do.

No tolerance for druggies or party houses. Called the cops and worked with them.

Established a Senior Center, with senior resources. We also made sure that all seniors were looked after in an emergency. We divided the the Valley into a grid, and have 2 to 4 folks that take care of them all year long. I should say, make sure that they are ok. We just look out for them!

We brought in the Boys & Girls club for the little ones. We started this at one of the elementary schools.

After that, we focused on the teens. We put together a Teen Center, staffed by volunteers. This was also located at the same school.

We also set up the neighborhood watches at this time. Back then, it was helping by patrolling the streets in 'our' grid. Now it's just keeping our eyes and ears open. There's no real reason to patrol anymore!

We also fought for grants, both from the state and federal. About 7 years ago, we were able to build an awesome swimming pool, a community center, a skate/moto cross park. Baseball fields, basketball courts, football fields and soccer fields. A brand new building to house the teen center and the Boys & Girls club. We just moved the senior center over to the community center a year and half ago. It's 10 acres that offers something for everyone!

We aren't located in any of the cities that surround us. We're still in the county. This means that we did this on our own, with the help of our county commissioner. We don't have city government to help/impede us. This was a true grass roots effort! It paid off big time! I've never felt safer!

I know this is a long post, but please take this to heart folks! No one agency is going to do this for you. You have to make things happen. You've got to be proactive! Get involved in life around you, the payoff is priceless!

Maureen 8)
flgmtech

Hi Maureen, and Greg,

Thank you both for your replies. We work closely with the Landlord, in fact she drove by and visually inspected the trailer daily while we were gone, however, she did not physically check the doors, and the break in took place at night. The street lights kept up by Tampa Electric Company, not the park, were shot out surrounding the side and rear of the trailer, thus the use of the rear door for entry.
The county sheriffs office knows us all to well as we try to report anything out of the ordinary not just to us but to our neighbors. Sadly, there are only 2 other English speaking neighbors in the park, one of which is the landlord, the others do not speak it or are just not willing to get involved, as we have tried to get the park rallied together to stop the drive through drug sales and attacks on homes and animals.
They have tortured countless cats, setting one unfortunate cats tail on fire with gasoline, and they also hung my girlfriends dog up to a tree in her back yard a year prior to my meeting her.
They have no consideration for the speed bumps and drive through recklessly and have come close to hitting the kids in the street. These are not just my girlfriends kids these are any kids there, and still the parents choose not to get involved.
The local sheriffs deputies advised on a watch program but needed more than just the two families we could muster, and that is when we became an even greater target.
They have broken out all but two of our windows including while we are home, they have broken in at least 4 times that I know of.
The sense of urgency to move is very great, we make greater progress with each day but it seems like forever to finish the trailer. Yesterday when we pulled down the skirting to remove the otter wall so we could replace the flooring and studs we found that the toilet when flushed is dumping water onto the ground, it was too wet to investigate then but is next on the list of repairs.
I realize it takes a community effort to take back the streets, but in this case, we have come to the conclusion, it is time to move.
Thanks again to all for the much appreciated advice.
Tim
gram2logan

Gosh, I feel so bad for you. That would be horrible to live in fear all the time. Good luck with the new place. Hope all goes well and you are able to move soon.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Greg

OK Tim, this is where the OWNER has to have the Commitment. she is the one that has the power to make the change happen. If she knows there are problem people, evict them! As I said Our owner would rather have 50% occupancy of GOOD tennants, the word will spread that the place is being cleaned up and a better class of people will WANT to move in. It will not happen over night but it WILL happen. Good luck, Greg
Maureen

Hi Tim,

This is one of those problems, that's it better to just move on as fast as you can! If the owner rents to tenants that don't, or can't get involved in their community. Then you don't have much recourse. It is on the owners shoulders, as Greg stated. If she chooses to rent to just anyone, eventually, she will have to pay the piper.

It's easy to just sit back and take rent money. It's a whole lot harder to get hid of the riff raff, and turn a park into a community. This lady clearly doesn't want the extra work. If she drove by your home in the evening, she should have noticed that the lights had been shot out.

Here's my best advice, focus on the new home and get out of park as soon as possible!

Maureen 8)