sand point water source - air in line?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rancocasrich

Folks, Our water comes from a sandpoint well type of source. We live on/above a river. We struggled with the June floods (Iowa) which didn't reach our MH thankfully. However our pump was submerged. When the water went down - way down - I let the pump dry for several days and it turned right on. The water was great through all of July but in mid-August, we started getting serious air in the line. Anu time any of the faucets are turned on hot or cold, the system is about 60% water and 40% air...??

Neighbors say the water table fell too low. others say the sandpoint is clogged and needs to be cleared. Others say I have to bleed the system. Before bringing in the "well guy...$$$", I'll check with the forum. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks.
flcruising

Did you have the well pump/tank inspected after this happened?

The only way I know of air getting into the system is on the intake side of the pump. The discharge end is pressurized, so the opposite happens when it leaks; water comes out, not air sucked in. I would have someone run the water in the house while you listen to the pump and the pressure switch to see if it cycles properly. If you're not sure what properly is, then definetely call a well installer/servicer.

Does the air come out as soon as you turn on the water, or is there a delay?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
rancocasrich

We did not have the well or pump inspected after the flood. The air seems to be present whenever the water is turned on. Sometimes it may not be immediate.

There is a faucet for a hose right at the pump. This too has air in the water flow. The other main line goes to the holding tank for the house. This goes to the hot water heater and all other house faucets. All aspects of the water system have the air problem, even the shower. Both hot and cold water have air.
flcruising

Then if all the plumbing connections before the pump are not leaking, I suspect it would be the well point being partially unsubmerged from a low water table. That would be the only explaination I have.

How deep is your well, and is there any other neighbors closeby who are experiencing the same thing?
rancocasrich

Aaron, I haven't checked for leaks on the sandpoint side of the pump. There are none that are visible.

Actually one of my neighbors said he is having an air problem. The sandpoint, I believe, is 18' deep. It might be 24'. I remember hearing both. I can't figure why the water table would be lower.

Thanks, Rich
Greg

Rich, the problem is on the suction side as Aaron said. If possible I would check the connections on that side, you may want to think about a deeper well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rancocasrich

Folks,

Thanks for taking the time and interest to help with this. We are away from our MH right now, but the well guy will be there when we return. My dear wife especially thanks you.

Any further opinions are welcome.
flcruising

I think you might need to look into a deep well. Is the river level low also?

We installed a 55ft well here at our place for $3000 two years ago. Our situation is close to yours as we live in a valley and are about 1000 feet from the river.
rancocasrich

This is new to me and a good learning process. I guess the well people will continue the education. How do you know how deep to go with the sandpoint? The river level is low but not historically so, according to locals. Perhaps it is normal to have these problems when the river is like this. Right now we don't have a lot of money for a new well, because we are seriously considering a metal roof for the MH. Making the present sandpoint deeper seems a better alternative financially. Can the sandpoint get clogged? I know a well is in the future because it is also easier to use in wintertime. R
flcruising

Yes a sandpoint (called a well point 'round here) can get clogged, but that won't cause air in the lines. Basically the water flow rate decreases when there's a restriction like sand clogging the screen of the point. But then again, modern well points don't have the problem with sand clogging since they are designed with smaller holes anyways. The sand can only clog what it can fit into (and we Floridians are well familiar with sand since that's all we have).

What a well driller will do here is hook up a high volume pump to your well and backflow it. This will help them determine the flow rate of the well, and dislodge any sediment that might have accumulated in the screen (if it's an old one). This won't do anything for low water level though, so drilling deeper is the only way to get past the problem you're experiencing.