"UPDUX" for evap coolers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

:? In researching evap coolers, "Updux" ceiling vents are a suggested option (to balance cooling and eliminate need to open windows). However, there are multiple types of Updux vents. Has anyone used them? Pleased? Displeased? Which vent did you try? I'm thinking this is the way to go -- but definitely want more info because they're not an inexpensive proposition (7+ x $65 just for ceiling vents is going to add quite a bit to install cost....)
Maureen

Hi AlaskanPrincess,

Not many of us on the board can use evaporative, or swamp coolers. So you might not get many responses. I'm in N Nevada, and have used the coolers for years!

Now, since I have an older mobile, with a flat roof, I've never considered venting it through the roof. But, we do have friends that have a home older than ours. It was retrofitted before they bought the home. I'm not sure it was Updux though. I know that they have low ceilings in their home now!

Personally, even though our temps get into the triple digits during the Summer, our cooler vent works just fine! We do have the have the temps dip down at night. I know you don't have that!

Maybe someone will come along with some advice for you!

Maureen 8)

Maureen,
Hi "neighbor"! Thanks for your reply. I am really looking forward to having an evap again -- not only will it reduce my electric bill, I won't be caged in for a 8 month period!
Maureen

I am so grateful that we can use a swamp cooler, instead of central air! We're in an area that we have to use heat 6 months, and some sort of AC the other 6 months! Heat increases our bill to about $500 a month right now, if we use strictly natural gas. I can't imagine paying almost that much for electric central air! The swamp cooler reduces our bill to about $140.00 for 6 months out of the year. Not to mention that it gives us the humidity in the air that we need!

Maureen 8)