Evap Coolers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Excellent article/report on evap coolers at:
http://www.swenergy.org/pubs/Evaporativ ... ystems.pdf
They recommend the following manufacturers/brands:
Adobe Air, Inc. (Master Cool); Champion Cooler Corp. (Champion, Essick, Tradewinds); Phoenix Manufacturing (Aerocool Pro, Aerocool Trophy); and Speakman CRS (OaSys). In early '80's I had a Tradewinds downdraft installed (had a single wide then) and was
just going to buy another Tradewinds -- until I read this article and
discovered other brands and changes/upgrades to coolers. :?: Does anyone have experiences with any of these units they'd like to share? Also -- (probably a really dumb question) should I have m.h. relevel done prior to cooler (roof) installation?
Maureen

Hi Again!

I'm on a little mini vacation and just breezing through right now. Like I said, not many here use the swamp coolers!

We've got a doublewide, older home, about 1600 sq feet. We upgraded to the Adobe Air a few years back. Love it! Basically, swamp coolers have so few parts, so to speak, that it's really hard to go wrong! I'd just go with a middle of the line cooler, as far as cost goes. If you do the simple maintenance twice a year, it should last 20 years. You might have to replace the pump. or the motor. But, those are cheap fixes! Since you're located in Yuma, you might want to change the pads twice a year. Use the Aspen pads, not the new ones! The new ones are much more expensive, and really don't do a better job at all!

As far as releveling goes, what type of set up do you have? When was the last time the home was releveled? Are you experiencing any problems windows and doors not opening and closing properly? I would be sure to relevel before installing any duct work in the ceilings.

Hope this helps! I'm on sort of a mini vacation right now, but will check in when I can!

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Hi,

Maureen, if you have the time check out her website...it's in another thread, this forum, how to post a pic. She has a modular home.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!