20x56 doublewide: massive 'vibration'

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

:cry: I have a 2001 Fleetwood, 20x56, approx. 32" - 33" above ground level, on concrete blocks (as best I recall). I did NOT pit-set because the reason I got this is because last m.h. (single wide Champion) was totally lost due to termite damage and I wanted lots of space between the home and the ground -- and the termites!) About half of ground is concrete (where old driveway was;) the other side is dirt (where old single wide m.h. was). I'm sure I need a relevel -- but major issue I need to address in the process is the 'vibration' that I get! Traintracks run about 1 - 1-1/2 miles behind my house (in the middle of the night, of course!) and create such vibration of the home it wakes me up. How do I correct this?? (Or can it be corrected??) I don't recall experiencing this problem with either previous m.h. (both were on this lot, but both were single wide and pit set....) Help!
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. You did not say how long the home has been there, and if this has been a problem from the start. If that is the case I would suspect that the home was not properly set up and or leveled. Mark (the owner of this site) has a book that is a bible to mobile home owners that does cover proped setup & leveling as well as most other problems you may run into. As I said that is the first thing that comes to my mind, but I'm sure others may have some ideas also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

The home was installed in spring/summer of 2002. I don't recall it being so noticeable when I first moved in -- but the last few months it's been so bad the vibration actually wakes me up at night. I'm planning to order Mark's book tomorrow -- with the time difference I didn't get to it in time today.
Harry

Hi

I don't know how to help the vibration.

We have limestone mining in the county and nearby residents complain all the time about the blasting vibrations.

If you find a solution please let us know.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
scottman

We live near a major highway, and occassionally a big truck going by will cause some vibration in our home. I noticed this esp in the winter. Maybe because the ground is frozen. We are probably 1000 ft from the highway, not a mile, but its still possible that's whats happening at your place. Also maybe your railroad line is allowing heavier double decker trains like we have a few miles from us? Those are monsterous, but no houses nearby fortunately.

We haven't done anything because it happens maybe a few times per week and mostly in the winter. I do wonder what happens over several years, but our homes are made to travel anyway so I guess they're built for vibration, just with the "wheels on"!