Frostline Piers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Tim M

Ok..Here is my next question. If I am going to relevel my MH, Would it be practical to even consider putting in frostline piers? It sounds like an awful lot of work after the fact. What would it involve on an existing set up home? Would it be to cosly at this point? Our frostline is 4 foot deep.

Thanks for all the help guys,
Tim M
Archie

Kinda depends on who you talk to. Some may want to pull the home out, drill the holes, then reset the home. Others may do it with home in place and just remove skirting. Either way I doubt that it will be cheap $2000 and up I'm guessing.

If the home has been in place for a few years chances are that it has gone through the major part of settling and just a relevel is needed. It may still shift slightly and another relevel could be warranted a few years down the line but it would likely be just a minor change.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Greg

Tim, Since you are on your own land it may make sense to do frost line footers. I would check it to see how far off it is before making any decisions. if it has not shifted too much, try releveling it and keep an eye on it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Tim M

The long term plan is to build an addition for a new Family room and bedroom. We need more space when the kids show up. Idealy we would like to add around 900 sq ft. (24 x 40). My In-laws added to their MH without frost piers and haven't had any problems. Theirs was a 24 x 20 addition about 10 yrs ago. What do you think? Am I crazy?

Tim M