Get me out of this bind and I promise I'll do better!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rdavy

Hi, we live on the banks of the Rio Grande and are experiencing record flooding, nothing yet has touched our single wide but it keeps getting closer all the while. I've looked at ideas for flood proofing online but never tried anything - now I am a believer something more needs to be done if for nothing more than piece of mind. We do have flood insurance.

Anyway the MH is on what the dealer calls a permanent foundation - concrete runners. Is further elevating the home feasible? It's at about 3 ft now and I'd like to see it at 6 or preferably 8. Any ideas or feedback, just to let me know if this is doable or shoudl something else be looked at? Other suggestions happily received.

Thanks for your time and ideas.

Richard
flcruising

Perfectly doable. Costly, but doable.

I would first find your flood zone through FEMA FIRMs. Then check your local code official's office and find out what type of requirements they have. More than likely, they will require a signed/sealed foundation plan from a structural engineer. $

This type of modification will probably require moving they house off it's current foundation completely, and install piles/piers for the height you are trying to acheive. $$
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
bell30655

Many years ago, I lived in St. Joseph, Missouri and we had this problem. Knowing that the Missouri River was going to reach us but not when we bought a truck load of cribbing and with the help of two jacks raised our house (built on a crawlspace) almost six feet in two days. The water level reached about a foot under the house before receding. When the danger was over, my father had permanent cinder block pilings built under the house and then built a cinder block wall around the home.

Instead of a 3 foot crawlspace we wound up with an 8 or 9 foot crawlspace and a new deck with steps. I was about 10 at this time and was totally amazed what two men and two boys could accomplish in just two days. But my father and a neighbor were determined that we would not lose that house.

A few years ago, when I passed through Missouri, I passed that old house and it still stands.