Underlayment and Vinyl Flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NorthernLight

Hi ,
Just curious if anyone has put down an underlayment grade of 1/4-in. birch plywood before laying down vinyl? I'm just a little worried about imperfections of the plywood sub floor embossing the vinyl. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Also, what's everyone's best tips for smoothing out a sub floor?

THANKS! :D
JD
Site Admin

Underlayment grade birch plywood will not have surface voids or knots. It will have some patches, but they will be clear and smooth. The plywood itself should not photograph imperfections to the new vinyl. But the edges and all nail/staple holes should be floated out with a flooring compound. I use Ardex Feather finish, but the Armstrong product at most home stores will work. I find that Feather Finish clan be troweled out or sanded to infinity without a noticeable transition easier.

The underlayment should be installed with an 1/8th inch gap on all edges. I go one step further and use a 4" grinder with wheel to impart a slight depression on the edges. This will work like the depressions on the edges of gyp board to allow a flat surface when you apply the float/compound.

I use adhesive and staples, narrow crown - 18 gauge - 7/8" length. I use a ton of staples. 4" o.c. on edges, 6" o.c. in the field.

That is how I do it anyways.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

I would like to add that if you are laying luan make sure that the seams stagger the seams of the subfloor.

Also be sure to read install directions of your vinyl. I recall reading (I think) the instructions on a Mannington product that said not to use the birch luan.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
NorthernLight

Thanks for all the helpful info JD, and Yanita! :D Two short months ago I would have had no clue about all of the MH lingo :shock: now it all clicks right into place. 8)
Yanita

Hi,

Glad we could help, and look forward to helping you again.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Demolition

At the carpet store I worked at... we used Oak plywood or types of Oak Luan. I dont know why but that is what the installer told me to go get.
I was a Go Getter.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town