venting skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lv2cmp

I know I have read on here somewhere but cant seem to locate how often you need to put vents when using skirting. I am in the process of accomplishing this task and not sure how many I need to purchase. I am in a 14 x 70 so any help would be appreciated. Amy
Yanita

Hi Amy,

You need one vent per 150 square feet.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

That is...1 square foot of free vented area for every 150 square feet under the home. If you put screen on your vent (recomended) then it takes away from the area of the vent. Someone here must know the percentage that screen takes away.

Jim
Manitoba Bill

Jim from Canada wrote:That is...1 square foot of free vented area for every 150 square feet under the home. If you put screen on your vent (recommended) then it takes away from the area of the vent. Someone here must know the percentage that screen takes away.

Jim
I don't use these type of vents for my skirting, I just use them for the attic intakes for the turbines on the roof.
This picture shows how small the area is. It is also stamped on the frame. These vents are quite large and measure 8" x 16". The marked "Free area" is only 45.3 sq. inches! The metal uses up 83 sq inches of the overall size of 128 sq inches. (65%)

In the picture I drew an area in white of the actual vent opening.

I built my own, first with chicken wire and later with hardware cloth because of rodents. They measure around 2x2'.

http://mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/album ... 0fea4bb87d
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
lv2cmp

Thanks Bill!
Harry

Hi Amy

I see you are in Alabama. Have you considered a vinyl skirting such as Parkside Vinyl skirting by Georgia Pacific? It is perforated and thus no need install vents. My home has it ... see my photos.

Just curious.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?