choosing our water source - opinions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rancocasrich

Folks, We are in Iowa and close to where the worst flooding happened. Our pump is on a hill side below our MH and above the river. We have a sand point well. When the river flooded in June it covered the pump and well. After several days of drying it turned right on and seemed to work fine.

We are considering replacing the pump for next year. Can I run a real well instead of the sandpoint? Can I move the pump and well closer to our MH? That would give us a better water source and make it easier to insulate for use in cold weather. I am new to all of this and seek opinions. I will also check with a local well person. Thanks.
preppypyro

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to have a well instead of a sandpoint, and why it wouldnt be close to your mobile. Unless you have restrictions in your county. If you ask me the closer the water source to the home (not meaning like 5 feet away though) the better.

Your right in checking your local well guy though, he will have lots of experience on the subject.

How far away from your home is your current well?
rancocasrich

The current well is about 30 feet away from MH. It is down an embankment that leads to the river. I think that about 25 years ago when it was put in, it was a better (cheaper?) way of doing things.

Is there a reason the well should not be too close to the MH?
Greg

I would talk to a couple of well drillers in the area and get a few opinions. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
preppypyro

Now dont quote me on this, but I do believe the guy that installed our well said that if it gets too close to the house, it gets close to the septic tank (might be different in your area, and you may not even have a septic tank) and if the septic tank springs a leak, then it can get into your well water.

Our well is actually about 400 feet from the house. Its way farther then I wanted it, but thats where the best water pocket was. We also had to get a nice powerful pump!

When we get our house built, the pump will still be about 300ish feet away.
Demolition

The Health department paid me a visit last month. I live out in the county but they said I gotta get a septic tank.
Anyway... one requirement to have public water is a septic tank that has been installed by a licensed installer.
Check with your local water company and county health unit for requirements in your area.
I know people think they know what they are talking about but... since I have spent several thousand dollars in the last 60 days... I suggest you check with your local water company and county health unit.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Harry

Hi

Yep...in my county it is the Health Dept that does all the permitting for septic tanks.

In my county the well must be at least 80' from the septic tank and drain field.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
rancocasrich

Thanks for the advice. We put in a new septic tank last fall and it needed permits from the county. I think we are OK in that respect. However, I don't know if my one neighbor has a tank or a field.
Demolition

OK back to your original question. As long as there are no restrictions... relocating the well sounds good.
You may want to have the well tested. Just because it is close dont mean it is exactly the same water.
I called about getting a well drilled and they quoted me $3000 but they only did Farm wells minimum 100 foot deep.
Just have the well tested to make sure it is safe to drink and to know how to treat it.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
preppypyro

Off topic, but here I was allowed to install our own septic tank, and trench all my own lines. I bought a backhoe just to do the work, and ended up starting a business afterwords lol.

Our well cost us 9 grand for them to drill. They charged us for test holes that they drilled where we didnt ask them to try. Wasnt too happy about that.