Light Switches

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bell30655

My mobile home is one that was built without using the standard metal or plastic box to mount the switches or plugs. The switches actually are secured to the underside of the drywall when you tighten the two screws on the front. These switches are now yellowed with age and some are a bit loose, etc. I need to find where to buy these.
Greg

I personally reccomend that the switches be replaced with a standard switch & mounting box.
We at this site strongly reccomend that if you are unsure of how to safely do this call a qualified electrician for yor safety. Electrical work is no place for on the job training. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
bell30655

Thanks Harry I'll be checking out that link.

Greg, I've done my share of replacing switches, plugs, etc. but some of these light switches and plugs are in locations where there is no stud to attach a box to. Right now, I really don't feel like replacing all the VOG with Drywall to fix that issue. It almost looks as though the workers at the mobile home yard just walked along the wall with a screwdriver an poked a hole in the wall saying, "I'll install a plug, right here..." There really is no rhyme or reason for the locations except that none of them are within six inches of a stud.
Harry

Hi

Yep ... my home on wheels is built about the same.

Here's an article that might help: http://mobilehomerepair.com/article12.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
bell30655

Wow Harry, now that I've read that link I can implement what Greg suggested and actually put boxes behind these things. The idea of wood shims is an excellent solution. I'm going to be changing out switches (installing the boxes) and plugs for days.

In every house I've ever lived in those plastic boxes were attached to a stud by several large nails. I'd never dreamed that someone would install switches and outlets without even using boxes (housings, whatever they are called).

Now I know why I keep cruising this board. A wealth of information for the new-to-me mobile home owner.
Yanita

Hi,

We have a wealth of info in the links located in the task menu at the top of the page. Be sure to chack them out, and don't forget to look through the photo albums some of the members have! :D

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

You can buy plastic boxes with the "wings" that flip out when you tighten them down at any home center. They are not as sturdy as the stud mounted but still much better (and safer in my opinion) than the "all in one" switches & outlets.
The reason I say safer is because you can use the screw connection and be sure it is tight, the all in one type uses a slot that simply pierces the insulation to make the connection. I have had that style loose connection and start arching, a good cause for a fire. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jubangy

bell30655 wrote:Wow Harry, now that I've read that link I can implement what Greg suggested and actually put boxes behind these things. The idea of wood shims is an excellent solution. I'm going to be changing out switches (installing the boxes) and plugs for days.

In every house I've ever lived in those plastic boxes were attached to a stud by several large nails. I'd never dreamed that someone would install switches and outlets without even using boxes (housings, whatever they are called).

Now I know why I keep cruising this board. A wealth of information for the new-to-me mobile home owner.
the boxes that are nailed to the stud are put in in new construction, the ones with the plastic ears are for existing construction.