New owner with some DIY questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

vicefan86

Hi folks, brand new to the world of mobile homes but I purchased a 1962 Marlette/Active singlewide, and while I am not doing anything seriously major, I do have some projects that are in the pipeline.

The first one is replacing a large section of the underbelly that was removed at one point in time for some repairs, but never properly installed. Some 4x8 thin sheets of foam were used and then screwed into place, but did not hold. After doing some looking around I saw the belly repair kits that involve the tarp and the adhesive, which seem to be the way to go. My question is, can I safely use blowable insulation in an underbelly? No clue about the rating of the original yellow factory insulation, but the pink rolls that were put in there have a rating of R19. My basic plan is renting an insulation blower for a day, and partially patching the belly and leaving the corners open until I finish insulating. Would something like that work, if not whats the best way to do it?

The other one is a crowd favorite which involves removing an interior wall. Took a good long look at the backlog of removing-a-wall questions, and I saw that of course most singlewide homes do not have interior load bearing walls unless the ceiling height changes. Well mine has an extremely gradual change where it rises very slightly and eventually peaks in the living room before dropping back down in the kitchen.

Thats the wall between the living room and too small guest bedroom, want to open up the living room. Took the paneling off and it did not seem very load bearingish, but I know that that top board is connected to something else through the ceiling, but that one I can leave in and turn into something decorative.

Looks pretty non load bearing from the pictures? :?: [/img]
Greg

Hi & welcome. Those walls should not be load bearing. A load bearing wall in a single wide is usually when the ceiling changes from vaulted to flat.
As for blown in insulation in the belly, yes it will work as insulation but if you need to open the belly up to do any work on the plumbing you are in for one BIG mess. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Having a mobile home repair business, I have to get in to underbelleys quite often. I would not want to deal with that stuff. It is bad enough working with fiberglass. With fiberglass batt type, you can be sure to get into the nooks and behind stuff better too.

I would say that fiberglass rolls are the way to go.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dirty White Boy

Frequently blown in insulation is made of recycled paper, which you probably wont want to put near the ducting...