Solar attic vent fans

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tnt17

Anyone here know someone, or have one of your own? That uses a solar attic type vent fan?
Link is below, for an example. I noticed Home Depot is selling them for $217 or so.

http://www.atticsolarfan.com/
oldfart

TnT even though I don't currently own one I still think they may be one of the best things to come along since ceiling fans! I have a standard wired gable-end attic fan. It's hooked up to a timer from fall thru spring. Kicks on at daybreak and then kicks off around noon when any frost or heavy condensation has evaporated from the roof. This prevents moisture build-up in my attic which nearly cost me my entire (newly installed drywall) ceiling before installing the fan. The real problem is condensation build up on the underside of the metal roof due to the rapidly heating metal roof and the cold air within. Trust me..there's no way to prevent the condensation..the option is what to do with it. Allow it to build up and ruin the new drywall..or vent the "attic" with a fan and force the moist air out. I can tell you that adding a "ridge-vent" in one of our older mobile homes is not just a waste of money...you only made the problem worse. Without eaves (we don't have them) the myth of "rising warm air circulating the warm moist air out of the attic via the ridge-vent" is just that. A myth. I wish now I had installed 2 solar gable end fans. One on each end..one drawing air in..the other forcing it out. It would work 365 days a year at no cost to me... and when it needs to function... without a timer or any additional wiring. Simple, easy and foolproof. Should'a done it. When the sun comes up..it kicks on. Runs all day at no cost and shuts down when the sun goes down. Keeps the attic cool in summer and moves the condensation out the rest of the time. Audie...smacking my head in frustration....the Oldfart...
tnt17

Thanks Audie..
Still debating on it, whether go with solar or just a regular 'whole house fan' or gable type.
Only con's i've heard on the solar is 'when it's cloudy it don't work, or only once the sun gets high enough up it does'.
But the wind i've also heard helps it, if it is cloudy (such as during a storm or rainy day).
Also adding 2 to have the cfm's or whatever, and not just 1 installed helps.
Tim Carter of 'ask the builder' seems a bit bashing on them, but then in his article offers different opinions.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/676_Solar_ ... _Fan.shtml

Interesting to read the follow up from the readers.

Of course, these are 'stick built' homes, not mobile. Having attic accessible space to even get underneath your roof to cut/mark your circle in the roof sure would be nice. Otherwise, we jump on the roof of the trailer and HOPE we're close!
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]