How often does a septic tank have to be emptied?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I know it is based on usage, but just for speculation, let's say a 1000gal tank in a 2 person home.

Ballpark?
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

There are variables here, It will depend on how large and how well the leach fields are. They are the key to removing the liquids. I would contact a septic company in your area since soil conditions also play into the equation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mobtek

I was going to contact the septic guy - just curious if it was a "every 2 years" or "every 5 years" kind of deal...
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

If I remember correctly with my old house with 4 leach lines It went the better part of 5 years. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

If your drain field is working good....around here the "experts" say 5 to 7 years.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

No expert here...but we have a fulltime family of three and 2 granddaughters every other weekend...2 1/2 years latter and no problems yet.

There are a few things you can do to keep your septic tank in good condition.

Never rinse grease down the drain, even in small amounts. Use a septic safe toilet paper. I also use Ridex, think that is the name once every 2 months.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
mokehillannie

My sticks and bricks home in California got a new system in 1985, it has never been pumped and has never had a problem.

In some campgrounds that I managed in Sequoia National Forest that are used by the public, were pumped every 4 years.
rdavy

In Texas, it is required every three years but not enforced at least where we live. We are four people in the house hold, with gray water lines to the outdoor plants, we pump it out about every five years or so.
Jim from Canada

The guidlines issued by the Ministry of Evironment (Ontario) is every 3 to 5 years for a properly functioning system. That being said, I have seen 7 to 8 years before it really needs it. You need to get the solids out for it to work properly. How much solids you put in it is a factor. Never, Ever, put things like grease, cigarette butts, vegetable waste (no garberators), and non-biodegradable object in the tank. Try to limit how much bleach and other cleaners you put in there. A normal amount from laundry and dishes etc. is OK. If you put too much bleach or amonia products down the drain, it will kill the bacteria that helps break down the waste.

Jim