Bowed wall panelling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Tim M

Ok...I bought mark's book and am ready to tackle almost anything. Our sons have moved out and we are now left with a bedroom with holes in the walls from all those brotherly battles! I decided to try Mark's idea of making the walls look like textured drywall. Not doing to bad...but....What can I do with vinyl covered panels that are so bowed that the screw heads pull thru as fast as I put them in? It's an outside wall, so hopefully this isn't a symptom of something else. I notice some panels in other rooms are the same way.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tim M
Yanita

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site.

This is one of those wish you had completed your profile...then I would know where you live and if you are dealing with frost heaves.

These panels are cut to fit, and typically do not bow unless the home is out of level enough to make them bow.

In our first home we had one bow in the exterior wall, but it was determined by manufacturer that the stud had dried and twisted, then cracked, causing the wallboard to bow.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Tim,

I have to agree with Yanita on this one. If this is an exterior wall that's bowed, your looking at the home out of level, or framing gone bad.

A profile would help a bunch! The more info we have about your local and your home, the better we can answer questions!

Since you do have Mark's book, you might want to build yourself a water level and make sure the home is level first. If that checks out, then you may need to take the paneling down and check the studs.

Maureen 8)
Tim M

Thanks for the help. I have put a level on the floor and things seem to be ok from that angle. (Maybe thats not good enough?) I can push the panel back against the studs, probably a good inch in the middle, however it just springs back when i take my hand off. None of the other panels seem to be affected. I live in Southeast Iowa and own a 1993 Fleetwood. I'm sure we are affected by frost heaves, but havent ever noticed it on the inside. If it's a heave problem, does that mean it will go back to normal in the spring? Sorry, I haven't ran across the area to fill out the profile info yet.

Tim M
Harry

Hi Tim

You say it's just one panel. Hopefully the root cause of the bowed panel is the boys "brotherly battles". You do need to follow up on the above tips on releveling.

Fixing the panel:

1. carefully remove the panel. Sounds like it is partially removed already.

2. clean the studs of brads, nails and adhesive.

3. shorten the panel 1/4 inch. It may be too tall for the opening for some reason.

4. reattach the panel with construction adhesive and brads.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Your first post speaks of one panel, then goes on to say you have noticed other panels as well. This is the reason I say your home may be out of level.

Laying a level across the floor of your home doesn't not let you know your "home" is level. This must be done from under with a water level on the I beams.

Typically your home will settle back down after the frost heaves have dissipated. You can do as Harry suggested.

To post your profile at the top of the main page is a link My Profile Space, click it and you can complete a profile. :D

~Yanita~
Greg

Mark's book does go into detail on how to correctly re level your home, it IS a time consuming job, but it is the only way to do it right. You may have two rooms level, but they could be 1/2" different in height. that is why you have to level the frame as one unit, since the home is built from the frame up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Tim M

Ok...I have pulled the panel off and now I notice there is no vapor barrier between the panel and insulation. Could that have any bearing on the problem as well?

Tim M
Yanita

Is the inside of the wall showing any signs of moisture damage?

~Yanita~
Tim M

Everything appears to be dry. No signs of any moisture.
Yanita

Hi Tim,

Well if there is no present sign of moisture then that is not the reason of the panel bowing...LOL, still no profile. Is this a doublewide or single home.

I still am of the mind that your home is out of level, please complete the profile and then I can further assist. Need the info about your foundation etc...

~Yanita~
Tim M

Thanks Yanita -

I have tried to figure out how to fill out the profile but I havn't found anything at the top of the home page or anywhere else. Even tried clicking on my own name to see if I could do anything. This is a great site and I appreciate everyone's help.

I did as Harry said..removed the panel and cut 1/4 inch off. I was able to get the panel flush again and the screws are now holding. I will be looking into the releveling as the weather warms and improves. Not sure if I want to tackle this or hire a proffessional.

Thanks again,
Tim M
Yanita

Hi Tim,

So sorry I did not realize that you did not know how to get to the profile area...lets see if I can help there :?

At the very top of the page you see all those links, there should be one that says My Profile Space..click on that then scroll down a little under where you pic/avatar is then I think you will see an Edit button, hope I got this right. If not post back and I will try again.

Just for future reference on the main page of the forum,(where all the forum are listed) scroll down and you will see a forum that says WEBSITE QUESTIONS, check in there as there is alot of helpful questions/answers in there. This does not mean you can not ask for help though. If you can not get to your profile let me know.

~Yanita~
Tim M

Sorry Yanita,

I have no link at the top saying 'My profile Space". I have "Blogs" links. Have also tried the Home page but have found nothing.

Tim M
Yanita

Ok Tim,

On the top of the page under the BOOKS/PARTS link is there one called new friends requests or something similiar, if so click on that.

~Yanita~