What kind of flooring for my Dad?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

El Barto

Long time lurker, first time poster here but I am now in need of advice.

I will be buying my father a used mobile home (built in 1988) and he is ok with most everything in it with the exception of the carpet in the living room. It is yellow and has a horrible pattern. Also, carpet is not a good option for him due to his age (80) and pets.

We both feel that it is best to go with a non-carpet floor with area rugs, but we are stuck as to what to get. We are torn between laminate hardwood floors, and a sheet of linoleum. I would like to go with the laminate, since it looks nicer, but I am concerned about the boards separating and looking ugly.

He lives in west Tennessee, where the humidity can get high and as I said, he has pets that may have "accidents" that don't get cleaned up in a timely manner, as with the occasionally spilled iced tea.

Please keep in mind that I will be laying the floor and want to get it done as quickly as possible, but can I get opinions as to which way to go? Also, I want the floor to last at least 5 years.

Thanks.
Linda

Well as a caregiver of 2 elderly women (97mom-I-L that passed in Dec. and 81 year old mom) I too hate my carpet but will not change it for new flooring because of them. This is JMO they do good on the carpet and sheet linoleum in the house. When they go somewhere that has laminate they get wobbly and if there is area rugs on the floor the walkers get hung on the edges or the feet slip. You always have to think ahead about what could happen. I will also tell you falling on a carpet floor doesn't do as much damage to the body as falling on linoleum. If I change out my carpet I will go with linoleum even though I want laminate. I know that it want be that long before I too will be in that age bracket. Also when you pick out colors think about eye sight and what colors they see well because of spills and pet accidents so that he can see these and not slip and fall.

Linda
Greg

Laminate can be slippery as Linda said. However most laminate locks together so seperation is not likely. As for liquid spills, I am not sure how that would affect it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi folks,

I too feel that laminate is not a good choice for the elderly. It is very slippery, and scatter rugs and area rugs cause even more problems. These floors are dangerous in stocking feet, including slippers that are not rubber soled.

Laminate flooring, although many rave about them, they do come with long term issues. First being if it is in an entrance way, it does have a tendency to start deteroriating. It swells from the moisture that was not wiped up quickly.

Although laminate does snap together, it is by no means water proof, the surface is mildly water resistant. Any spills, human or pet related left unattended over time will cause the flooring to de laminate.

IMO, your best bet is to go with a decent quality vinyl. Easy to install and keep clean. Vinyl comes in a wide array of patterns and colors.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

There is another floor you might want to look into that Home Depot sells. It is called "allure". It is vinyl planks, it is a floating floor, with glue strips that connect the planks to each other. it is very easy to install, you score it and snap it to cut it.

there is a line of wood pattern ones, and a line of stone tiles patterns.
I have used both, the stone pattern one may be slightly more raised, and be less slippery.

the flooring is water resistant, spills stay on top of the material unless it is over the seal, and then it may soak through if it stays there for hours.

this flooring can handle up to an 1/8 inch level change, and slight imperfections in the subfloor, which can be helpful.

Brenda (OH)
El Barto

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yanita, you make a great point about the entryway. It seems that in this part of Tennessee, EVERY house tends to have issues with the flooring around the entry way, including traditional hardward flooring. I don't know if it is the weather, or could be people just don't wipe their feet.

I'm leaning towards a sheet-type of product, like linoleum. It seems easy to install and it would be better.

I looked at the vinyl planks, and they looked ok, but were a little expensive. I figured for that cost, I would just get the thick vinyl tiles.

I am basically doing a quick cleaning/set up of this place for my father. In a week, I plan on Kool Sealing the roof (Dad wants this done, roof not leaking now), replacing the living room carpet, maybe replacing one window and overall cleaning and buying him furniture.
oldfart

Well now Barto first off let me thank you for thinking about your Dad. That seems the be a lost art nowadays! On to the topic...the choice of new flooring should be decided, perhaps, on the quality of the existing floor. If the old floor is warped and buckled, has soft spots and such...a laminate might not be the best choice. I presume by laminates you mean Pergo Flooring or some other similar floor...correct? The problem is if the floor isn't flat the new laminate flooring won't lay flat. And any little protusion sticking up above floor-level will likely trip-up us old geezers. Yup..we kin glide our walkers over wrinkly "linoleum"...nowadays known as "vinyl-flooring." And carpeting is not such a problem with the big wheels on todays walkers. Mind ye...I did kind'a wrinkle up my brow on the comment about "messes left by him or his pets." Son...lemme tell ye something..them big wheels on a walker kin climb right up o'er a "kitty-biscuit" left by one of my feral cats. NOW...if I have a accident....I'll be lookin' fer a Hummer wi' 4 wheel-drive an posi-traction to git out'a that disaster! A good Husky chain-saw an' a flatbed truck might be an asset! An a small crane! An a industrail strength Shop-Vac! JMHO of course. :) Audie..the Oldfart...
Demolition

I used to work in the warehouse at a flooring store. I agree with the vinyl. It will last longer than laminate or peel and stick stuff.
The main thing is the prep. Since you are putting it over plywood floors you will need to have a smooth surface. No Nails or Gaps in the floor or it will damage the vinyl.
When choosing a pattern, some are SLICKER than others. Just tell the salesperson whose house it will be going in and they should point you in the right direction.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Harry

Hi

I vote sheet vinyl.

There is a rustic dark plank pattern I like real well.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Jim from Canada

I seen an episode of Holmes on Homes (HGTV) where he put in a laminate floor that was like an interlocking vinyl. Looked like, and went together like a wood laminate. It was for a person confined to a wheelchair. Tough enough for the wheels, but resiliant too, so it cushioned falls a bit, and easy to clean.

Jim
Yanita

Hi Jim,

I think that was an Allure product.

Yanita
Jim from Canada

Sheesh! I wish my memory could do that! lol. Thanks Yanita

Jim
Yanita

LOL Jim,

It only happens once in a great while...

Yanita