Questions regarding foundations

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Loki

I am looking at buying a brandnew double or triplewide to put on our land. I am going to go with a full foundation slab underneath the home. If I did that and permenatley secured the home to the foundation could I build a garage onto it? I am also thinking of pitsetting the home. Here in Midwest Texas region moisture is not a very big concern and agin it would be on slab in pitset situation as well. Are there any ideas I am missing here or thoughts to consider? Possibly alternatives?
Greg

I would say that if the home is on a full foundation and properly installed you shoul have no problems. I would however pour the garage foundation at the same time so you have one solid foundation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Whether you could build an attached garage or not would be a question for your local building inspector or code office. I know here in California that you would have to jump through very expensive hoops to get a permit. Their first answer would be no.

There are other codes (at least in my area) in play that create a problem. One is, they want a clear 36" walking area between the mobile home and any other structures. Being a garage, if you were able to get around this obstacle, there would have to be a fire wall between the garage and mobile home. This wall would extend up higher than either roof, which would create a "cricket" in both roofs that would try to pond water. There are probably other objections a building inspecting/planning office may have.

I would think it would be easy to get a permit to build a non-attached garage. Some people may put a breezeway between the two units, but this may also be a code issue.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

Find a Licensed Mobile Home Installer and ask him to come look at the site. He will know what works in your area. The soil and building codes are different in every region. He may also know a contractor that specializes in pouring slabs.
You may also think about having the ANCHORS for the home made into the concrete. So you dont have to drill holes into the concrete later.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Harry

Hi

All good advise.

On the pitsetting I would make sure you have good drainage just incase someday you do have high water.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Brenda (OH)

Erick,

you may want to look into the idea of whether you want the home to be made into permanent real estate, with a deed, which can be done if you use the approved type of foundation.

this affects your taxes, what type of financing you would be able to get, and comes into play if you plan to sell it.

this is a broad statement, but a mobile home on a permanent foundation and having a deed often is worth more at resale time, if buyers can go to a bank and get a loan, vs you having uo look for a cash buyer or have the buyer make payments to you.

Brenda (OH)