Complete remodel of bathroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

saxman14701

Hi everyone

Well I pulled up the linoleum flooring today to see how bad the water damage is to the sub floor, and discovered the floor has sever water damaged. My bathroom is roughly 12 x 5 and the water damage extends from exterior wall to walls around the toilet and seeping under into the master bedroom. It also extends over 3/4 of the floor towards tub. My plan is to removed the linen closet, bathroom sink, hot water tank, bathtub, and any interior walls and completely replace with new sub flooring.

So heres my questions?

How much remodeling should I do as my trailer is in sever need of re-leveling?

Should I just replace the floor for now, reinstall fixtures, and wait till after re-leveling to finish walls? Or can I do it all and be done with it?

Which would be better? Remove the flooring to within a few inches of the exterior walls or completely take it out from under them as it is wet?
Yanita

Hi Saxman,

Lets see if I can help.

It is always best to have your home releveled prior to any floor or wall replacement.

If the water damage has gone under the exterior walls and your floors are anything other than plywood, then yes you should remove that as well. It is a real pita but worth the headache.

You might not have to totally remove the interior wall. If space allows then you can get the new flooring under the existing wall.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Manitoba Bill

saxman14701 wrote:Hi everyone

So heres my questions?

How much remodeling should I do as my trailer is in sever need of re-leveling?

Should I just replace the floor for now, reinstall fixtures, and wait till after re-leveling to finish walls? Or can I do it all and be done with it?

Which would be better? Remove the flooring to within a few inches of the exterior walls or completely take it out from under them as it is wet?
Follow Yanita's suggestions. Be aware that most mobile home floors are created in one step and then walls, etc., are dropped onto the flooring.

Before you remove all the closets, etc., check and see if you can get the new flooring under them and save a big step. When a previous owner installed a new 3/4" plywood floor in my bathroom he just left the closet as is. Just watch for mould.

If you find the rim joists soft in spots you can try and "sister" 2*4's onto them. Lastly if it were me, for a new bathroom floor, I would even use a sealer. Just in case of water leaks. Check for off-gasing with the supplier if you use an outdoor product indoors..

Others will be responding that are better qualified, good luck.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

Saxman, You are most likely safe doing the floor & plumbing before you relevel. I would not get into much more than that before you make sure that what you think is level really is. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi saxman,

Here's my advice! Relevel first! This will go a long way with floor repairs. Sub floor repair is really hard work, and you only want to do it once. It will also go very far with any other repairs, and or decorating.

No matter what set up your on, we all have to check our level every few years. It's just the nature of the beast. Some homes need to be releveled more than others

After that, Yanita is right on the money. It's very probable that you will have water damage under the framing. Bill also pointed that out. Like Bill pointed out, our homes are built from subfloor, and then framing on top of that.

It's a pita, but most of us have had to deal with it at one time or another!

Maureen

8)