Are waterbeds and mobile homes compatible?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

Would a king size waterbed be a problem in a mobile home?
1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Hi,

Many folks have set up a water bed. I doubt there is any real problem providing you are certain the floors are fine/perfect in your home.

If you have an older home I would check to see if it has outriggers. Even then if the bed is not going to be over the I beam(s) I think I would add extra blocking underneath.

My main worry would be a leak...yup, they happen all the time, BTDT.I am sure others may offer up a thought or 2!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

We have had a Calif. King size in ours since '91 with no problems. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Mobtec generally speaking it shouldn't be a problem. I've got several friends that enjoy waterbeds of varying sizes and for the most part they don't put any more strain on a home than a normal bed. When ya think about it..a normal bed puts all the weight down in 4 small areas. Where the bedposts lay. Some have supports in between so it distributes the weight out on 6 small areas. A waterbed distributes the weight out over a wide area...the width and length of the bed. Not a problem. Now if yer an ole codger like me the most likely problem is gittin' out of the goldanged things!! HAW!HAW!HAW! An if ya spring a leak??? Instead of a flashlight..keep a snorkel an goggles handy. Forewarned is forearmed my friend! Audie..the Oldfart..
chablis

We've had a king sized hard side water bed since we moved in here in 1995 with nary a problem. The hard side water beds should have a vinyl liner inside the frame that (at least theoretically) contain leaks.

Remember, these beds are larger than standard beds with mattresses, so you really want to measure your room to make sure one would fit in there comfortably. Also, keep in mind that the placement of the bed will be affected by the location of heat vents, windows, and doors. You want to be able to get into the room, move around the bed, and have dressers or chests without having to climb over furniture, and a heat duct that is obstructed by a water bed would be a very nasty thing to have on a cold winter night!
Chablis
Jimbo47

Heated waterbeds seem collect critters (pets that is) and kids in the winter like a magnet !!

Jim
bell30655

We have two waterbeds in our single wide (14 X 70) without issue. I wouldn't worry so much about the leakage issue as long as you have a really good liner. The purpose of the liner is to hold the water in the event of a mattress failure.

We have had two leeks since my daughter got her bed. One caused by daughter and friend trying to cause waves... jumping from headboard. Second leak by a cat on bare mattress. Both patched without any water hitting the floor.
Yanita

Hi Guys,

I am going to lock this thread as it is getting redundant, and upon closer look, this thread was created back in early August...

Thanks,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!