Garden Tub Removal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

I believe it is a garden tub, it is as wide as the second bathroom tub but deeper as far as from the front of the tub to the back wall.
also the walls surrounding the tub are covered in tile and they appear to be in good shape, what is the best way to remove this tub so that I can replaced the floor underneath?
Thanking you in advance

Tim
Robert

Hi Tim,

It should have a flange all around tub edge that is screwed into wall.

May be covered by a trim of sorts, remove the trim and screws.

Then a tracking along bottom edge that may be nailed to floor.

Turn off water, unhook piping and should come right up.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Sylvia

The advantage of removing a garden tub is that it makes the bathroom seem much bigger! Seems like a lot of the space is in the steps. I don't feel like I'm missing any actual bathtub room.
Greg

Tim, are you planning in saving the tub? If not a sawsall works fine!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flgmtech

The sad part is I am not sure if it is in fact a garden tub, it is as wide as the standard tub in the other bathroom but deeper in towards the wall, and as far as having screws in the flange around the edge, it is all tiled over so I am uncertain if I should remove the tiles or as Greg mentioned just cut it into pieces with the sawzall
I want to mention there is no drain it is a hole to the ground, and the hard ware is in the wall insofar as the faucet and controls are concerned. I really want to get it right and am afraid to break up the tile, but it may not be a choice, and if so what is the best way to remove the tile a little at a time to avoid tearing up the backer board and the rest of the tile?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

Tim
JD
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

Dremmel makes a grout removal attachment that can be used to remove the grout completely. Maybe just remove the first course of tile to get to the tub flange. There are two sizes of bits. I would go with the larger size for the best separation. If the grout is thinner than the bit, cut just the grout and that first course of tile. When reinstalling the tub, if you can't find the same tile for replacement, you could go with a decorative tile with come matching colors.

After the grout is cut, you can just pry on that first course of tile. The tile mostly breaks off in chunks. You want the least amount of damage on the backer board, but some damage may occur. Damaged areas can be filled in with the thinset adhesive used to set the new tile.

This wall may or may not be installed correctly. If it is not, you can try just the above repair method and be no worse off than you started. The best tile wall will have a plastic vapor barrier that extends over the flange of the tub, backer board (Hardi-backer), metal lathe, finished with mortar then a bond coat. Many people will use just the vapor barrier and backer board with thin set troweled over the seams which I feel is also acceptable. But is there is no vapor barrier or if the tile is set to greenboard sheetrock, you may want to consider redoing the walls. JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi Tim

Once upon a time I was going to just replace the tub and the more I got into the job the more problems I found. Too much rot and the plumbing inside the wall looked shot. I ended up with a whole bathroom remodel.

Chapter 16 in Mark's Manual has some really good tips on bathroom remodel.

Like Greg said I ended up using a sawsall even after removing the toilet.

Like JD said you may want to rebuild the walls the right way.

Good Luck.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Harry

Hi Tim

Did ya find this article?

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/BathtubReplace.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?