Opinions please on bathroom remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bethk

Thanks JD. That is the shower we were looking at. What is ABS? And will it hold up like fiberglass? I looked on the link you sent and fiberglass is more expensive but if it holds up better maybe we should continue to look.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate everyone's opinions immensely since we are so new at this.
Brenda OH reregister

Here is the photo of the minicloset/tub surround supporting wall I made in a home last year. I am very happy with the results, I had hired a guy to figure out the repair, and he kept delaying getting it done, and I ended-up figuring it out myself! woman with power tools and a tape measure.....

Brenda

How we did the job: (and some how we should have done it lol)
1 Installed the shelf bracket strips on mobile home walls
2. Painted mobile home bathroom walls and brackets.
3. Installed the shelf bracket strips on the board that was going
to be the tub surround wall
4. Painted that board and brackets
5. slid the wall into place. secure to floor and ceiling.
6. Measured, cut, trimmed a little (lol) and installed the front
braces, placing them so they hit the stud in the
mh outside wall.
7. Made shelf templates out of cardboard, cut shelf boards out of
3/4 inch plywood I had left over (each shelf was a little different dimension. Painted, tilted them on angle, slid in and dropped into place
8. Measure for towel rack, fasten two by four on closet wall,
9. Install tub surround. let dry
10. install towel rack across from the 2 by 4, hitting the
2x4 with the anchors
11. add trim pieces, used waterproof white pvs molding

enjoy......
(actually, it was use mineral spirits to remove tub surround glue drips lol)

Brenda
oldfart

Hmmmmm...I'm gonn'a be watching this post like a hawk! On Fri. my vacation starts and my running water stops. No more sink, no toilet or tub/shower or floor until the job is done. Now, as far as choices in shower materials..hmm? I like the Sterling models..seem to be a bit better made. Stiffer and more substancial. (sp.?) Fiberglas cracks can be repaired....ABS cannot. Prices seem to be running about the same whether for 1pc./2pc. or 4pc. till you add it all up. Do give some consideration as to HOW you'll get it into the bathroom! How wide is your door? Most of these units are 36in. at the narrowest point. Will you have to turn it in a hallway to fit it thru the doorway to the bathroom? How wide is the hallway? If the back door is inline with the bathroom door..that is a possibility. Unfortunatly my backdoor is only a std. 28in. wide door. Arrrghh! A 4pc. unit allows one to lay in the plumbing along with the base...then the walls. Can't do that with a 1pc. and unsure about with a 2pc. unit. Well...I'll be readin' and watching! :) Audie...(old stinky if the creek yonder drys up for the next week!)..the Oldfart...
Bethk

My husband and I also checked out the Sterling brand. We are leaning towards it because it does seem sturdier. Thanks for your input.
Greg

ABS is a plastic (similar to PVC pipe) if tends to flex and crack and is no where near the quality or strenght of fiberglass. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bethk

Thanks Greg. We will definitely stay away from it then.

Beth