Restoring aluminum siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dandjbarrett

The aluminum siding on our home was in really bad shape when we bought it. It hadn't been cleaned or refinished in years. We got several estimates to get it repainted (we are not physically able to do it ourselves) and the price was unbelievable. I read on the computer that there were products that would remove the oxidation and then it could be restored with wax. We had that done last year and are very pleased with the results:

Before the refinish:

After:

The cost was one-fourth the cost to have it painted. It has been a year now and the finish is just as nice as it was when we had it done. As you can see, someone in the past had sealed the roof and was careless with spilling the sealant over onto the trim. We DID repaint the trim since that was something we could do ourselves.
Harry

Hi

Good info.

Do you know which wax was used?

Thank you

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
dandjbarrett

Its called Everbrite. The siding was first cleaned and then the wax was applied.
Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
dandjbarrett

I couldn't believe the difference before and after it was done. My neighbors too were amazed and couldn't believe it. It left the finish with a smooth texture. I'll use the same product again. All the ugly rust stains are gone. It was an inexpensive way to restore the finish and certainly was easier than painting. The only area that couldn't be restored was the skirting. We'll eventually paint that. I'd hoped to be able to get it replaced with faux brick, but that's a project for another year. :(
Katie

This really interests me.... you said you had it done... but I am wondering how hard do you think it would be for us to do it ourselves? Has anyone out there had any experience with the process? Like, does it need to be hand polished, like car wax?
thanks so much.

Katie
It's only money, Right?