removing vinyl floor - need help removing glue

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

Does anyone know of a good formula for removing leftover glue from removing sheet vinyl?

I tried a bit of DIF (wallpaper remover) and it worked pretty good. The problem is that it would probably take a few bottles of DIF and I would rather not have to spend the ca$h.

I was kinda hoping that someone would have a recipe for glue or wallpaper remover.

Thanks
1989 Fuqua SW
JD
Site Admin

I always either leave the sheet vinyl and use and embossing float to get out the pattern of the old vinyl our cover it all with underlayment. I have not found a time efficient way to remove the glue and paper backing of vinyl flooring. I have found that even when I was able to get the glue off, I still had to float the gouges and other irregularities.

On decks and steps, I will use a belt sander with a coarse belt to remove the carpet glue that does not come off with a scraper. It works well on old hard glue. But that would make quite a dusty mess inside the home.

I also use a commercial adhesive remover for a lot of things Goof-Off won't remove. But it would be much more expensive than the wall paper remover.

Hopefully someone will offer a good answer. That would be very helpful.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mobtek

Since my bathroom floor-painting experiment went well, I am going to paint the plywood kitchen floor. I need to get that paper off of the floor as much as possible.

After spraying DIF on a few more spots I found that it doesn't work as well as I thought.

All suggestions appreciated...
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Well, I found something that works great.

I tried a little Lacquer thinner on the paper and glue that was left behind. After it soaks in for about 5 minutes, it comes off really easy with a putty knife.
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

Just remember that thinner is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE! Keep a fire extinguisher close by. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Mobtek along with Gregs warning concerning the flammability of "lakker-thinner" read the warnings posted on the can. Not only is it flammable it has a bevy of other warnings! Mind ye I'm not one of them fellers that screams BEWARE every time I open up a can.... but just be aware is all I'm saying. I don't fret much about long-term problems...at my age that's a non-issue. And I use lakker-thinner, acetone, tolulene, Goof-Off, Goo-Gone and a host of other hazardous materials. Just know what yer gittin' into my friend. And use some proper pre-cautions. Lots of air movement..fans..big time! No smoking! Not just flammable, but you git yer hands wet with this stuff and then fire up a smoke and drink carcinagens as well. Wear rubber gloves and chuck them at the end of the day! Wear safety glasses! Ye kin work with 1 hand or 1 leg...working blind is a real p.i.t.a.! And some not-so-innocent chemicals can be hazardous as well. That common glue we all use on p.v.c./c.p.v.c. pipe? Nasty stuff! On the upside...using any of the above in an enclosed area reminded me of the late 60's!! Don't recall much..had a good time..I think! Audie..the Oldfart...:)
mobtek

Thanks for all the concern guys - safety not a problem. I've worked around all this stuff for years.
1989 Fuqua SW