Deck, but no footers allowed!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Robert

Best solution for that and good for decks, we do it due to high winds is:

BEFORE beginning, lay out deck area and then place 2-4 MH anchors like is under your home in appropriate places underneath where deck will be.

When you get the cross beams or floor joists up, wrap the anchor strap around just like you wrap around the frame under your home and tighten down snug.

Combine this along with the deck being constructed to handle the weight or movement necessary and it won't budge.

If more than normal weight and movement, also would be best to double up the outer rim joists.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Maureen

Great tip Robert! As you know, everything we've done to this home has been done with our age in mind. Along with this comes wheelchairs, walkers and anything else we made need!

When I replace the new boards that have warped already, I'll place a few tie downs around the frame! Genius idea! We have winds quite frequently over 100 miles an hour. Well worth removing a few boards to make sure it's secure for the future.

Thanks Robert!

Maureen
Handweaving

Robert, WOW!
I agree, that is a genius idea. I'm saving it to my favorites.

Maureen, 100 mph wind? I think that beats my keeping my home at 58* all winter!! I live at the north end of town with farms for miles and miles and miles, I get wind but nothing like you.
It's no wonder then that you know how to keep a tight ship!
Maureen

Hi Juli,

We don't have those winds all the time. But we do get bad winds every year in March and April. Normally around 65 to 70 miles an hour. Every 3 or 4 years we get a wind storm that slams us!

Back in the 80's, I woke up one morning to look out the back window. I was a little dazed, Ryan was a baby and had been up all night. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, but the back yard looked really different. I went to let the dogs out, and did a double take... the whole back fence was gone!!! Support posts and all! Thank goodness, we knew these neighbors real well! We had to share yards with kids and dogs until the insurance settled the claim.

We're in valleys out West here, at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains. The highest peaks around us are 12,000 feet. We get some sort of weird wind things that go on every Spring. All I know is that it does get bad, but it's nothing like tornados or hurricanes!

Still, we know that things need to be secure here!

Maureen 8)
Robert

Hi All,

You're very welcome. Thought I would add, this holds true for sheds, shops, outbuildings also.

Once rim joists and floor joista are set. Run anchors into ground at angles.

Then wrap straps around floor joists and tighten down.

Lay the floor and continue on with framing.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Maureen

Thanks again Robert for those tips!

Yes, all my sheds are tied down, as is the shop (it's a wood type shed). Also my awning is tied down. actually both awnings were tied down, and set in concrete footers. I still have one more footer and tie down to dig up after the snow creamed the carport awning.

We also anchor down a lot of the yard decor that stays out all year. Summer decor doesn't get placed out until late May. It comes back in at the end of Sept.

That's also really important to think about. About five years ago, we had one of these really windy days. Someone in the neighborhood had a table umbrella out. Well, I saw it flying through the air, it was about 100 feet in the air when it flew past us. Shattered someone else's living room windows!

Maureen 8)
Yanita

LOL,

Not funny I suppose, but out here in the country is much different than the city.

There is a constant wind/breeze. Just enough to keep the small iron bistro table and umbrella upside down somewhere other than on the deck!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!