replace patio door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jktokie

Is it possible to replace a mobile home patio door with a regular house patio door? Ours is wore out and will not stay shut, we have also replaced the rollers and there is no screen so we desperately need to replace it. But there is a big difference in price. The width is the same but the height is about 1 or 2 inches shorter than a house door. If anyone has done this I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks Judy
Harry

Hi

I had to modify the hole when I replaced my sliding glass door. Here's a photo.

On the new door I installed a stainless steel cap on the bead that the rollers ride on. This saves the soft aluminum bead that the rollers ride on from wear and warping. I also fabricated a sill pan out of sheet metal so the sill will not rot ....as fast.

Good luck.

Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
kimmey

Well, I found that the sliding bar to my screen door was ripped half way out of the trim of my door along with a chunk of wood, as if someone tried to slam the screen door open or something. Several thoughts ran through my mind, like how much is this going to cost to repair or replace? Does my home insurance cover this, or should I even make a claim on this it seems so small, but if it’s expensive?
Last edited by kimmey on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia

Yes! you can replace a sliding door in a mh with a regular one. We got a Pella one and are very happy with it. The hole must be made larger though. It was an all day project that my husband needed my son's help for.

As an insurance agent I'd say do not submit small claims or even bring them up to your insurer. A reported claim is still a claim even if it's not paid out. You risk having your rate go up or depending how the insurer is doing, even having your policy dropped.