doorway question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maureen

Hi Brad,

It wasn't that bad of a job at all compared to subfloors!

We did like Greg mentioned and opened up the inside walls. We shut the power off, since we need to move a junction box for a light switch over a few inches. We removed one stud to widen the door using a recip saw, then used the recip saw to cut the old header out to the right height. Placed a new stud into the doorway, and reconstructed the header. Hooked the junction box to the new stud. I had carefully removed the paneling, so all I had to do was cut a larger area for the door in it. Placed the paneling back up (we've got real wood paneling, so this was easily done).

After that we dry fitted the door, shimmed and leveled until it was perfect. Screwed it in, added new lock set and dead bolt and we were in business!

Now, one thing that our neighbor suggested that we do, is not trim the door out for a few days. That was a pretty good tip, because we did tweak the door to the perfect level and fit over the next few days.

Maureen 8)
fargoman

The subfloor wasn't as tough as i thought it would be.

Widening the doorway didn't sound hard. Mostly sounded like it took some time. I'll probably get a book with some pictures and see. I do pretty good with pictures.

Thanks Brad
Greg

Brad, as with most repairs our brains usually make the job harder than it really is. Take your time, measure twice, and take your time planning the job. You will be fine. the support team is here if you need us. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."