doorway question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fargoman

Hello everyone

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if it's better to cut a door down to make it fit or make the doorway length higher? I didn't see anything about that in mark's book. How would one lengthen the height if thats best?

Thanks Brad
Harry

Hi Fargoman

If you have the space....going higher will probably mean you will have to build a header. I have done it when replacing the siding. It's a fairly difficult DIY project. JMO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Brad, A lot depends on how your home is built. There may or may not be enough room to easily put a full size door in with out some reconstrusting. You will need at the very least a double top header so make sure you have enough room to put that in. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Also when installing a traditional door, beware that you may have to move any switches in the area, and possibly the exterior entrance light.

Welcome to the site!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
fargoman

Do you think cutting the door would be easier? At my local store they have some doors that fit the width right on, it's just the height is about 4 inches to long.

thank you
Brad
Harry

Hi Fargoman

Yes...cutting down a door is easier. Here's an article by Mark Bower: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article13.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
fargoman

Thanks for all the help

Brad
Yanita

Your welcome,

And please post some pics of the project as you do it. You can post them in your own album here on site.

~Yanita~
Maureen

Hi Fargoman!

I'm just going to add my 2 cents here, as always!

Before adding a new door, either a stick built or a mobile door, take a step back first. Do your home work!

Do you have 7 or 8 foot ceilings? If you have 8 foot ceilings, then it might be easier to cut out the old header and install a new one. It was a half day job for us to make our framing both wider and taller, and install a new door. Like Yanita mentioned, we had to move the electrical box for the light switches... very simple, if you have basic DIY experience!

One other point is that we have a brand new door frame, and we know how it's constructed! It will last another 34 years!

Maureen 8)
kashton

We spent a whole day going from an old 28" trailer door to a standard door. They wanted extra money at Rona to cut the door to fit. It looked like a baby door. It was worth the work to cut into the exterior tin and reframe. Now my monster-in-law can fit through the door!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

LOL Kashton,

A traditional door is also great for all the other reasons too...large amounts of groceries, furniture etc... :D

We are so glad we got traditional doors for this doublewide.

You will be glad you did too in the long run.

Have a good day!

~Yanita~
Maureen

LOL! That reminds me of my neighbor! He spend about 2 years renovating his 80's doublewide. From floors on up. Did a wonderful job on everything!

Even installed a new front door!

About 6 months later his wife went out and bought new furniture. In came the big delivery truck and unloaded the furniture, only to find that it didn't fit through the new door he installed! Out came the new door, in went the new furniture, then he had to widen the door frame and install another 'new' door!

We learned that lesson well! Back door is a stick built, and only 32 inches. But, that works well for groceries and stuff. We have the slider and a 36 inch front door for larger items!

Live and learn!

Maureen 8)
Handweaving

Hi Kashton,
Sometimes after reading messages I look up their profiles.
Yours is totally great, Love your sense of humor....LOL
Don't have anything to offer the discussion at this time, however, I am thinking of making my own front door....I do have (some) carpentry skills.
fargoman

This is for Maureen or anyone who can answer.

I haven't started yet just looking into everything,but if I was to widen and lengthen the door frame what would be the steps involved?

I'm certain I could do this. Done my subfloor and a couple other things. I'll post some pics in the near future

thanks for your help :D

Brad
Greg

To resize a door you will need to open up the wall since you need to add new door frames (2x4 or 2x6) depending on the out side wall thickness. You will want at least a double top header since that carries the weight of the roof and any snow load you may have. The procedure is about the same as a stick built home, so any home center should have a sheet/book with detailed instructions or a mock up wall that you can look at before you buy the door. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."