Help locating the year/make of my trailer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bigtrout24

I am trying to by my trailer and need to find the Make and year. If I can just find the year I can make that work. Any help would be helpful Thanks ahead of time
Jake
mokehillannie

Pick up the top to the water jacket on the toilet and look on the bottom side, that gives a date. It is the date that the toilet was made, but that will give you a ballpark figure, unless the toilet has been changed out.
bigtrout24

The toilet has been changed
Thanks for the advice though 8)
texasprairierose

Jake,

The information for ours is in the cabinet above the washer and dryer. If yours isn't there, try looking in closets or the cabinets in the kitchen or bathroom. Does it not have a serial plate on the outside somewhere?

Diane
Greg

Depending on the age of your home (after the mid 80's) there should be a HUD sticker, usually in the area of your breaker / fuse box. check master bedroom closet also. it could have been removed if there has been remodeling done. There may also be a year on the breaker box. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bell30655

Mine has the information inside of a kitchen cabinet door and on a data plate outside right where the electricity comes into the house.
mokehillannie

We never did find ours. We even had county inspector look for it. He didn't find it either.

The county wanted to attach it to the land as real property. I don't know yet what they did, but it is now being taxed as real property.
bigtrout24

Thanks alot guys this helps soo much. This is a great group of members :D
Thanks again
Jake
petehome

You can try to find the data plate. IF you find it, it will have all the information you need.

If the data plate is missing or you can't find it, look on the exterior of the home for a red metal plate ( the plate is usually faded after a few years in the sun). From 3280.11 of the Federal Standards (Certification label): (a) A permanent label shall be affixed to each transportable section of each manufactured home for sale or lease in the United States. This label shall be separate and distinct from the data plate which the manufacturer is required to provide under § 3280.5 of the standards. (b) The label shall be approximately 2 in. by 4 in. in size and shall be permanently attached to the manufactured home by means of 4 blind rivets, drive screws, or other means that render it difficult to remove without defacing it. It shall be etched on 0.32 in. thick aluminum plate. The label number shall be etched or stamped with a 3 letter designation which identifies the production inspection primary inspection agency and which the Secretary shall assign. Each label shall be marked with a 6 digit number which the label supplier shall furnish. The labels shall be stamped with numbers sequentially. (c) The label shall read as follows: "As evidenced by this label No. ABC 000001, the manufacturer certifies to the best of the manufacturer’s knowledge and belief that this manufactured home has been inspected in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Housing and Urban Development and is constructed in conformance with the Federal manufactured home construction and safety standards in effect on the date of manufacture. See date plate. (d) The label shall be located at the tail-light end of each transportable section of the manufactured home approximately one foot up from the floor and one foot in from the road side, or as near that location on a permanent part of the exterior of the manufactured home unit as practicable. The road side is the right side of the manufactured home when one views the manufactured home from the tow bar end of the manufactured home."

Your third alternative is to find the serial number stamped into the front crossmember at the hitch end of the home. From 3280.6 of the Federal Standards: "A manufactured home serial number which will identify the manufacturer and the state in which the manufactured home is manufactured, must be stamped into the foremost cross member. Letters and numbers must be 3⁄8 inch minimum in height. Numbers must not be stamped into hitch assembly or drawbar."

Once you have a serial number, you can track down the manufacturer eassily.

Sorry for the technical jargon and I hope this helps.