Skylight problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tnt17

Hi,
New here, hope i'm posting in the right subforum.
I have 2 skylights in a 28x80 mh. Both in bathrooms. Wife loves em, i am starting to hate them.
The heat(whether from the sunlight source or being trapped up in the 'square') is ridiculous...it feels 20 to 40 degrees hotter inside where the cut out area is, roughly a 15 inch by 46 inch area, and 3 feet deep up to the glass skylight.
I'd like to put a plastic (tinted or not) around the square area where the ceiling meets the frame, but not sure if that would stop the problem. Other option is the pink insulation sheets and staple or screw around the frame, although this would 'ruin' the function of the skylight and it's view.
Leaks all the time, i've caulked in and out, still does it occasionally as well.
I've heard of blinds, and outside covers to use to help.
Wondering if anyone here has had the same problems or any luck with insulating below/around a skylight area, or keeping the sun's source of heat at bay.

Thanks for your help, loving the site!
tnt17

Here's a pic:
steve

The heat is great in the winter but a single pane skylite leaks heat and AC. Adding another plastic layer could help but if tightly sealed will usually form condensation. Your best bet would be to add solar blinds. I have always changed skylites to Velux which are energy efficient, can open with manual or remote motor and even can sense rain and close on their own.
Yanita

Hi,

Before you use any type of window covering you need to find the water leaks and get them repaired. It could be as easy as removing all old caulking and start again with new.

Since you seem to like the light from the skylight I have seen folks use the bubble wrap that is used for packing material in there windows. It's a great insulator but allows translucent light to come through.

Just a thought.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome. We have a Velux opening skylight in our living room. I put up wooden blinds for the summer.
As Yanita said get the leaks sealed first. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
tnt17

I actually saw that both are velux skylight's, while up there taking the old caulk off and putting the new caulk on. FS 056 is the type/size. While inside up in the little 'square' hole though, it would seem the bigger problem of heat coming in is due to the paper thin wall area, and just behind each wall is the area below roof (being attic or whatever you would want to call it) so no insulation i'd imagine.
So i think i would need to focus more on tearing out the 4 pieces of paperboard/wallboard whatever it is, adding some insulation, and re-doing the walls in the square area.
[url=http://www.stormpulse.com]Huricane & Thunderstorm Tracker link[/url]